Problems with getting signal in Cubase with Tascam US-1641 and Tascam VL-A5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hood

I have configured the audio interface as i've seen it to be done. It looks like it should now work.
Then when i make an audio track and plug in my bass to the guitar line in on the interface, nothing happends. I can play through the monitors but not cubase. My computer replays music with few lag spikes but it wont tak the signal from the guitar line in and use it..
I would be honored to recieve help from someone who knows what I dont. thank you :)
-Hood

Have you setup the audio devices in Cubase? Go into your audio preferences and make sure your input device is the US-1641. Then, provided your VL-A5's are hooked up to the interface, make sure your output device is the US-1641 as well. HTH.

I'm not familiar with your interface, per se, but sounds like you could be monitoring the bass through a direct "latency free" output. Does the interface come with a mixer program?

Ok, let's start with the basics then. Have you pushed the "input monitoring" or "record arm" button on the new track? Have you selected the "input" for the new audio track. Both of these are done on the actual audio track itself, every time you make a new track.

Ok, let's start with the basics then. Have you pushed the "input monitoring" or "record arm" button on the new track? Have you selected the "input" for the new audio track. Both of these are done on the actual audio track itself, every time you make a new track.

Yep. I'm not totally on the bottom of the bottle :)

SHOOT im going to double post now to post urls... EDIT: u can edit posts :D
recorderror2.png

By husmann
recorderror.png

By husmann
These are my settings.

When you record the bass does the track show a waveform? Only other thing I can think of is the monitor knob on the interface is tuned to direct, not computer.

When you record the bass does the track show a waveform? Only other thing I can think of is the monitor knob on the interface is tuned to direct, not computer.
precisely, it doesn't show a wave form. But you led a light come upon me.
From the manual i was told how to switch from listening to the input from interface or input from computer. The mix knob as it's called is switched to take sound from interface input only.
I still see no waves. It is a weird problem !!

Ok, is this LE 4 or 5? Or a full version? I ask that because the full version has input faders in the mixer that could be turned down.

Quick check (sorry if obvious). Make sure bass/guitar volume is up and inst. cable is good. Make sure you are plugged into input '9' on Tascam and button next to the jack is pressed in (GUITAR). Turn up preamp gain knob '9' and check LED on interface for signal. From there you should have same signal in cubase with channel armed (Red dot) and monitor (speaker) icon lit orange the way you show. Turn off green 'R'. That is read automation button and doesn't apply here. Turn monitor 'Mix' knob clockwise on interface to hear audio from Cubase/computer. Make sure fader on your selected channel your recording to is up (click channel in the inspector window to left.)

Do you hear bass? Can you see meter moving next to your selected track?

Hit record button on top or in transport panel an wav will be created whether you have signal or not, albeit silence if there is no signal to channel.

If one of these don't make it work then I'm stumped and can only say to download and update driver and Firmware from Tascam website.

Hope this helps. Once again sorry if this seems stupid but I have missed some silly things myself when I was learning the software.

Jimmy

No it's only comforting that you take the time to give assurance so to speak.
I am 100% sure i have it configured like you said. in cubase 5 full edition.
I dont hear bass when turned clockwise.
Where do i see the input faders in the mixer? (the f3 mixer, right?)
Edit: no meter moving either. I don't really get ther fader thing >,<

Yeah, in mixer there will be an input fader for input busses you have created.

So you can hear your bass playing in the interface (monitor mix knob to left) correct? Cubase should recieve that and show meter movement on the selected channel. The fader thing was just to hear the audio that Cubase is getting. Input faders in mixer are just another set of input level. The output faders in the inspector and mixer are after recording.

Just curious if your usb2.0 connection with interface is exclusive. Meaning nothing else hooked up to a usb port. I know I had problems using another device with the 1641. Just askin.

lol something weird happened.
I was gone to play a gig, while my laptop was on standby. When I came home, a meter beside the meter of the one that should be recording, was pumping.
Then i double clicked at the track and my laptop went to BSOD. But i think that is irelevant. When i booted up again it would work like before. Dont know
if I missed some settings when starting a new project.
I hear bass when mix knob is left, yes.

Now after restarting monitors and interface i finally got it working.
Thank you very much Jimmy, your help was defitnetly appericated!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back