Problems with Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

gorkyporky

So, here it goes.

I got a Scarlett 2i4, to replace my old M-Audio FastTrack Pro, since it kept crashing and wasnt really reliable. I didnt really mind that on my previous computer, but now i got a new laptop, and i installed win8.1 on it, and for some reason, when the FastTrack crashed, it, more often than not, caused a bluescreen. You can imagine it is a pretty big pain in the ass. On win7 on my previous pc, i just turned it off and then back on, and it usually just started working again.

Now, i installed all the drivers for the Scarlett, and pluged it in. Everythig works, playback, recording, no problems whatsoever. Except that it also crashes. A lot. Here is exactly what happens: It just goes silent. There is no sound coming out of it. All the lights are on. And it doesnt even crash in the DAW, it just randomly stops giving out sound, like, youtube, winamp, games, whatever is suposed to be giving out audio. It just goes completely silent. Sometimes it happens in the daw, and sometimes just randomly when using the computer normaly. And yes, i had the same issues with the FastTrack before it.
I have to unplug and plug it back in like every 20 minutes. It usually solves the problem after the first unplug, sometimes after the second. Sometimes it lasts an hour, hour and a half, sometimes it craps out 4 times in a row in like 2 minutes. I have a feeling it crashes when i change active youtube videos often, but sometimes it works just fine during that, so that doesnt seem to be the cause. I have no idea what to do. It works fine in reaper, while the FastTrack sometimes crashed during recording as well. I havent done any extensive recording with it yet really, so i cant say how often it crashed in the DAW.

Would installing Asio4all help? As far as i know that would only turn on when i used Reaper, not when im just using windows normaly? Would disabling the laptop sound device, while using the Scarlett help? When im at home i have the laptop plugged into the Scarlett, but when i take it to school i of course dont take it with me, and i just use the integrated card for listening to music or whatever.

Anyway, any help would be apreciated, since i spent money on this specificly in the hopes of it being more stable, and this is not the case. I can take it back to the store and use the fast track again, but that will not solve the original problems of stability.

Folks seem to have made the fttpro work on W8...Fast Track Pro on Windows 8 - Avid Pro Audio Community

I had a Pro and it worked fine on w7/64. I suspect a problem with the laptop. The link suggests power settings can be an issue but I would also look at turning off any wireless kit.
That said, this i3 laptop works fine running W7 with all the anti-v and wireless working whilst the Native Instruments KA6 is recording. But then the KA6 runs like a woodburning stove with ANYTHING!

Last resort, format the C drive and re install the OS.

Dave.

You definitely want to disable the built-in soundcard/device when using the Scarlett. That could be causing a conflict.

This and I would also run the windows memory test. If your laptop has a diagnostic partition (available at startup) I would run the baseline diagnostic to be sure the system doesn't have a bad drive, memory, etc. New doesn't guarantee these things aren't bad.

Start Memory Diagnostic Tool in Windows 8

You definitely want to disable the built-in soundcard/device when using the Scarlett. That could be causing a conflict.

In fact I would make a fresh start. Clean out all the Focusrite drivers (might be able to Restore to a point before installing it)

Once cleaned up (use Ccleaner registry cleaner as well) disable on board sound THEN put the Focusrite stuff back. If things are now stable you can probably re-enable OBS.

Dave.

Well i reinstalled the drivers and did the whole power options optimizing, buffer size setup and whatnot. Seems to be way more stable now. I had only 2 crashes since i made this thread, and im not sure they could be considered crashes anyway. There was just no sound when i returned the computer from hibernation, but after a restart everything works correctly.

Right now i switched back to my old FastTrack Pro, and it seems to be stable as well. If it turns out to be just as stable as the Scarlett, im just gonna return the Scarlett to the store, since i cant really tell any difference in sound quality. The only actual reason i got it, was because i wanted to improve stability in the first place. So anyway, thanks guys!

'hibernation'? Turn off the 'go to sleep' power saver. This definitely means rebooting to get the sound working again.

Yeah, when i have the computer pluged in, i have all the power savers disabled. But i got a laptop specificly to carry around, and when i take it somewhere, i just put it into hibernation instead of shutting it down, because its a hassle to go trough the whole startup waiting time 8 times a day. Restarting the interface when i turn the computer on is not a big deal, i just want it to work once its on. I dunno, maybe im an idiot for this, but i really hate waiting for 5 minutes for the damn thing to turn itself on.

Yeah, when i have the computer pluged in, i have all the power savers disabled. But i got a laptop specificly to carry around, and when i take it somewhere, i just put it into hibernation instead of shutting it down, because its a hassle to go trough the whole startup waiting time 8 times a day. Restarting the interface when i turn the computer on is not a big deal, i just want it to work once its on. I dunno, maybe im an idiot for this, but i really hate waiting for 5 minutes for the damn thing to turn itself on.

WTF is taking 5 minutes to load? I have just started this HP i3 laptop from a complete shutdown to running Samplitude Pro X Silver and it took 2:52.
However if, as I normally do, I just close the lid I am working again in under 30 seconds!

You have some heavy junk starting up that you almost certainly don't need.

Dave.

Ccleaner, yes good, just make sure in Settings that this is NOT one of the things that starts up! Handy for a general purpose PC but for moooosik we want as little going on as possible.

Not sure how you get there in 8.1 but XP/W7 went ..... < run>CMD> MSCONFIG to get to the startup menu. NB only "unstart" stuff you know about (like C cleaner) if you are not sure, let it start. For instance you probably have some sort of "office" program? Yes, it will be needed sometimes but does not need to start every bloody time!

Dave.

My had to, (msconfig in the search box bottom left & it appears at the top of a "list" click & you're into start up etc.), do a start up tidy of my wife's laptop this week. HEAPS of auxilary stuff runs in W7 & W8 and I turned off everything I know she doesn't use/doesn't need.
It went from 4 minutes to start & 5 to shut down to about 2 for each.
She has AVG SOHO suite running which is busy and does a lot at start/stop but that's very necessary.
Oh, I ran CC cleaner & a virus scan before doing that stuff obviously.

My had to, (msconfig in the search box bottom left & it appears at the top of a "list" click & you're into start up etc.), do a start up tidy of my wife's laptop this week. HEAPS of auxilary stuff runs in W7 & W8 and I turned off everything I know she doesn't use/doesn't need.
It went from 4 minutes to start & 5 to shut down to about 2 for each.
She has AVG SOHO suite running which is busy and does a lot at start/stop but that's very necessary.
Oh, I ran CC cleaner & a virus scan before doing that stuff obviously.

Ray, have you tried Msoft SE? I have it on 3 W7 machines and had it on XP till they stopped it. I must have clocked up several 100 hours by now and have never had a virus issue. SE seems to have a very low CPU hit.

If you are really worried you can rum Malwarebytes every month or so.

Dave.

ecc83,
I'll look into that, thanks. In the meantime AVG SOHO is paid for so will keep it until it runs out if your suggestions pans out.

Back