Problems connecting a MIDI capable keyboard via audio interface into Ableton Live

jviveiros

I am trying to run a Casio Celviano AP-24 (basically an electric piano, but it has MIDI I/O's) into ableton. Ive got a midi cord plugged into midi out going into my focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface's midi in slot. My Saffire 6 is connected to my computer and I can successfully record through my two front mic inputs, but the midi keyboard doesnt show up as an available port/ doesnt show up or interact with Ableton at all. Is there something Im doing wrong?

It's not an input port, it's a MIDI port. You have to set it up in MIDI settings, not input settings. Enable the device withing MIDI settings and it should work.

I don't have Live in front of me, but you probably won't see your Casio specifically; there are no Casio drivers installed on your computer. On the MIDI tab (under Preferences), you should see the Saffire's MIDI ports as a choice under Input. Also make sure to enable the Track button. Hope this helps!

I don't have Live in front of me, but you probably won't see your Casio specifically; there are no Casio drivers installed on your computer. On the MIDI tab (under Preferences), you should see the Saffire's MIDI ports as a choice under Input. Also make sure to enable the Track button. Hope this helps!

Right, but again, the issue is that nothing is showing up under the midi tab, not the saffire or the keyboard. Do I have a wrong connection, or is my Saffire just not working?

Right, but again, the issue is that nothing is showing up under the midi tab, not the saffire or the keyboard. Do I have a wrong connection, or is my Saffire just not working?

Possibly something not working. As I don't use Abelton, I can really test anything out for myself. But perhaps download Reaper and see if your MIDI works in there. If it still doesn't, then there could well be something wrong. If it does work in there, it could just be something not set up right in Abelton.

I figured it out, turns out my electric piano had a driver I had to install. hehe woops

Doesn't make sense to me. MIDI cables don't send driver information. As well as pretty much any computer already having drivers to read and playback MIDI data.

Back