Problems with Audacity?

indypam

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. I need to record my class discussions and vocal examples in a public school. I want to have wav. or mp3 files for my students to refer to. I have a SnowBall mic and my PC. I've downloaded Audacity to use. The first class was great. But, now its hit or miss. I even had Audacity save my one hour class in to hundreds of mini files (10 seconds each). Sometimes it says "Mic unresponsive".
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there another program I could try. Is there software I could purchase to do the same recording?

I used a direct in mic and never had that problem, so if there are any in your school (which there should be) those might just be easier, but not as good, but I doubt you need studio quality sound

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. I need to record my class discussions and vocal examples in a public school. I want to have wav. or mp3 files for my students to refer to. I have a SnowBall mic and my PC. I've downloaded Audacity to use. The first class was great. But, now its hit or miss. I even had Audacity save my one hour class in to hundreds of mini files (10 seconds each). Sometimes it says "Mic unresponsive".
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there another program I could try. Is there software I could purchase to do the same recording?
Did you export the audio or only save it? Audacity usually splits the audio in 10sec chunks and has a project file when you save, but you can export as .wav as standard, and as .mp3 if you download lame.dll

I'm assuming you're talking about the USB Snowball mic, in which case the 'mic unresponsive' message is a driver message and nothing to do with audacity. I wouldn't really recommend USB mics - they're extremely limited in quality and function. Have you considered a normal mic and audio interface combination?

The thing about Audacity saving as 10 second chunks; this is when you save the project rather than exporting the wav. It saves a .aup project file along with all the audio files that are part of the project. This is normal behavior :)

Back