Problem with mic input after using midi instrument

drajan

I have a Rode NT1-A and Scarlett 2i2 that I use in Reaper to record and usually have no problems.
Today, I got a new midi controller (Novation Launchkey Mini) and I was configuring it to work with Reaper. Afterwards, I diconnected it and plugged back in my audio receiver to record some vocals on my mic. I was surprised to find that the volume of the recording was very low, even though I usually used that level of gain on the audio receiver. I dialed up the input gain ont he receiver and tried again; when I recorded then, it was still fairly quiet but was clipping -- as if it was limited to that very low volume.

What's going on? Is there some setting I can fix (maybe caused by using the MIDI keyboard) or is my mic broken? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you and Merry Christmas!

Best bet is you're having a driver conflict. Try re-installing the Scarlett driver first...if that fails, uninstall the Mini's drivers and the Scarlett's drivers and re-install the Scarlett drivers. We'll go from there if that doesn't help.

Uninstalling both drivers and just installing the Scarlett drivers worked -- thank you so much for your help!
So do I have to do this every time I want to use my mic? Is there any way for the two devices to co-exist?

Unsure. Try installing the midi driver first and let the 2i2 driver clobber it this time and see if that helps. Obviously the midi driver clobbered your 2i2 in a bad way...

Back