Pro Tools 7 Instrument Tracks?

batchmister1

Seasons Greetings

I want to be able to use two different patches from the same keyboard to make two different performances in two different instrument tracks. Anytime I attempt to do this, the two different instrument tracks play the same patch.

I have a Motif ES connected to a Midiman 4x4.

(i also had this sort of problem when i tried to use Sonar)

thanks, bye for now

You will need to set up a multi with the two instruments (or all your instruments that you want to use for that track) so one patch plays on midi channel x and the other on midi channel y and so forth

Dont have a motif so you will need to refer to your manual on how to set up multis but the basic idea is that you have a multi "patch" which contains a number of patches each triggered on a different midi channel. So a multi patch can have up to 16 possible instuments but usually they will reserve a couple for realtime controls and other functions.

Do you know how to record into in an instrument track in Pro Tools 7 so that it saves both the midi and the audio data that has been recorded?

When I record a performance to an instrument track, the keyboard's midi in has to be plugged in to hear the playback of the nistrument track.

I dont use protools but the general idea is to record with just the midi then use that until your ready to render the audio, that way you can make little changes to notes or other midi data without having to rerecord the audio

Intrument tracks are design more for virtual instruments on the computer, if I understand them correctly. I have PT7, but I don't do much MIDI stuff so I may not understand it all correctly- but I'm prety sure instrumnet tracks are just MIDI tracks with a virtual instrument inserted on them.

However, a909's correct: midi isn't designed to be recorded on the same track as audio. If you want to record both the midi data generated by you hitting the keys AND the audio that the Motif is generating you'll need to use 2 tracks.

So create a MIDI track and label is "Horns M" and a stereo audio track labeled "Horns A", for example. You already have your MIDI hooked up and know that you'll record the MIDI data as soon as you hit record. Next, make sure the the left and right outputs of the Motif are plugged into inputs 1&2 (for example) of your Pro Tools interface and that the inputs of the audio track are set to the same inputs.

Voila. When you record enable those tracks and hit record you'll capture both the MIDI and audio you are generating. You can then mix the audio like any other audio tracks while still having the MIDI information if you want to make a change (and rerecord the audio) later.

There is *probably* a better way to do this, but it requires getting intimate with the Motif's manual. Can't help you there.

Take care,
Chris

Back