Presonus FP10

murf214@

I tried recording my band the other night. I have Logic Express 8 and a Presonus FP10. I used two overheads for the drums (ch 1-2), a mic for both guitar amps(ch 3-4), DI for bass (ch 5) and three vocal mics(ch 6-8). I wanted to use the line outs from the vocal channels and send them to our PA so we could hear ourselves. So I used balanced cables, plugged them into line outs 6-8 and plugged the other end into individual channels on the PA. This did not work. Did I do something wrong or are these line outs not intended to do that? I'm not talking about the send and return line outs on channels 1 and 2. I appreciate any help.

I have a FirePod (FP10) but have not tried doing that with it. But perhaps this may solve it: there is a knob for "inputs / playback". That knob adjusts whether you are monitoring signals right though the interface or through the software. Is it possible that if you have it turned all the way to playback, you won't hear the outs from your inputs? Again, I have never tried that, but thought maybe that is a possibility. If not, you got me stumped too.

....also, perhaps you can try reversing your set up. Plug into the PA and then go out of the PA into the FP10. That might work.

Very simple. In your software, set the outputs of the channels you want to hear through the pa to whatever outputs you want to use and choose to monitor the inputs. The standard/main outputs are probably 1 and 2, so you could set to output on any of the others. You can also use this to setup headphone mixes if you buy a headphone amp.

Remember to change it back when you come to mixdown though! ;)

I own a Firepod (older version of the FP10) and the first two channels have a preamp outputs in the back.

So, plug the vocal mics into the first two channels, connect your balanced cables from preamp outputs 1 and 2 to your PA. Everything should work fine :)

Good technique for reamping guitars too. :cool:

I own a Firepod (older version of the FP10) and the first two channels have a preamp outputs in the back.

So, plug the vocal mics into the first two channels, connect your balanced cables from preamp outputs 1 and 2 to your PA. Everything should work fine :)

Good technique for reamping guitars too. :cool:
This works because outputs 1 and 2 are the default outputs. If you use all inputs and only want a few out the pa, you need to assign the outputs of the channels you want to the outputs you want to use, other than the default.

But the preamp outputs are separate from the main outputs. They only play what is going into channels 1 & 2.

This is my setup:

Preamp Output 1-> Guitar Amp
Main Outputs 1 & 2-> Monitors

I can plug a guitar into channel one and play with overdrive on the amp, yet still record a clean signal in my DAW. The full mix only goes out of the Main and Cue outputs, not the preamp outputs of channels 1 & 2.

I agree with what you're saying though. If you're plugged into channels other than 1 & 2, you need to assign the Line outputs in the DAW.

But the preamp outputs are separate from the main outputs. They only play what is going into channels 1 & 2.

This is my setup:

Preamp Output 1-> Guitar Amp
Main Outputs 1 & 2-> Monitors

I can plug a guitar into channel one and play with overdrive on the amp, yet still record a clean signal in my DAW. The full mix only goes out of the Main and Cue outputs, not the preamp outputs of channels 1 & 2.

I agree with what you're saying though. If you're plugged into channels other than 1 & 2, you need to assign the Line outputs in the DAW.
Ok, i never knew the firepod had preamp outputs for channels 1 and 2. Never used one, although I'd love to.

they're pretty neat if you can get it to work. I went through 3 FireWire cards before I found one that was compatible with it. I want to upgrade to a firestudio. -sigh- if I only had the cash haha.

Back