Pre-Made MIDI Drum Tracks

Centropolis

I've recently started to try recording and one of the things I don't have any experience with is MIDI, VST instruments etc.

I bought a used Akai Mini MKii last week....cheap for learning. I am curious if instead of programming drums from scratch, I am guessing that there are websites that sells (or free member-created ones that they share) pre-made MIDI drum tracks? Is there such a thing? I've searched the internet and a few places sell MIDI drum loops.....not drum tracks that are "replication" of the original songs.

I am looking for drums tracks for bands like, Oasis, The Beatles, Radiohead etc.

MIDI tracks are just data and they contain no sound. In order to get sound form any MIDI tracks, you either need a hardware synth or a software synth.
I suggest you get something like Superior drummer as this will have a soft synth and MIDI tracks included. You can also buy expansion packs with Superior drums, like Drums from hell, for hard rock

CJ

MIDI tracks are just data and they contain no sound. In order to get sound form any MIDI tracks, you either need a hardware synth or a software synth.
I suggest you get something like Superior drummer as this will have a soft synth and MIDI tracks included. You can also buy expansion packs with Superior drums, like Drums from hell, for hard rock

CJ

Hi CJ, yes I totally get that. I am using Reaper and the included VST instruments. I am looking for pre-made MIDI data files (drums specifically) for actual songs. I did find "backing tracks" but they are just MP3s with vocals taken out of them.

But is there a place where I can either buy (hopefully not that expensive) pre-made MIDI data drum tracks for popular rock songs? All I want is to take that MIDI track, load it into Reaper, the assign a VST drums to it (instead of making one from scratch using a MIDI keyboard).

search google for MIDI and .mid in the search terms - so Oasis MIDI .mid will bring back lots of pay for and free midi file sites. Download them and dump the instrument tracks leaving the GM drum kit sounds. Occasionally you might find kick drum on a B not a C, which confuses some drum VSTis - but easy enough to edit them. Some are really good, others, well, less so. This assumes you have a DAW that can play general midi drums of course.

Full disclosure I'm a software developer for DrumThrash.
I open midi files on a daily basis. The easiest way I know is to download midi files from the internet. There is a site called midimelody which has a lot of full length songs. DrumThrash which is a standalone drum machine rather than a VST. Also when you open a midi file there a multiple channels. The drums notes are usually found on channel 10.

As the other poster stated.... MIDI files are just data... So they are very tiny. There are MILLIONS of MIDI files all over the internet - of all the bands you mentioned. Trust me, I have ALL of them :) The cool thing about MIDI files is that if you get a Radiohead song (or whatever) you can pull it up in a MIDI player, and mute/extract all of the tracks you don't want. So you can JUST hear the drum tracks..

This is the heart and soul of my practice sessions. I go through my millions of MIDI files - play them through my really nice sound modules, and strip away the vocal lines or the guitar parts and just play along. Best practice ever.

Back