Pre fader / post fader??

Toker41

Better Than You
K...Stupid question I know, but here goes...
If the direct out of a channel on a mixer is "post fader, post EQ, and post must", what does that mean? Does this mean that the fader, EQ, and mute will have no effect on this out put? Also, will the Aux sends and returns effect this output?

pre means before and post means after. Therefore if your direct outs are Post eq, fader and mute...all the processing on that channel will happen before you send it direct out. For example, on a live console that has direct outs, it's nice to use ones that are prefader so you can send them out to an MTR and be able to mix it later. Because usually the EQ settings and volume settings the live guy makes is specifically for that venue and not for a CD recording. So what sounds good in a live environment may sound like crap in car speakers.
As far as your Auxes...it all depends on what console you're using. Most of them though have a button that you can push to make it pre or post. However others will be ONLY post or pre. It all depends. Of course, if you already know they are post or pre...then the above paragraph stays true to what will happen to the direct outs. Hope this helps. :cool:

Toker41 said:
K...Stupid question I know, but here goes...
If the direct out of a channel on a mixer is "post fader, post EQ, and post must", what does that mean? Does this mean that the fader, EQ, and mute will have no effect on this out put? Also, will the Aux sends and returns effect this output?

No it means the opposite, although that isn't typical, usually the channel insert send is before all the channel controls except gain. Which mixer is this?

Aux sends and returns have no effect on the channel inserts.

I'm using the Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer, and a delta 1010, with N-track software. The mixer has both inserts and direct outs.
So am I to understand that since the direct out is post mute, I can not mute this track to the direct out? That could be a large downside.
So how am I to hear the tone of what I'm recording to N-track? Do I have to record it first, and then listen to the playback to check the tone?
Is it better to record from the Main out on the mixer and have the EQ sounding right as it goes to "tape", or skip the EQ going in and do it after the track is recorded?

On a mackie 1604 (as an example) the mute is between the EQ and the fader, and the fader feeds the direct out. If yours is the same, mute would kill the signal goin to both the mixer and the D/O. If the insert is 'pre' like it often is, that would still be active even with mute on.

So how am I to hear the tone of what I'm recording to N-track? Do I have to record it first, and then listen to the playback to check the tone?
-While sending the track to the D/O for recording, you could listen to the mixer main out or headphone.
-Or monitor back from your DAW/sound card?

Is it better to record from the Main out on the mixer and have the EQ sounding right as it goes to "tape", or skip the EQ going in and do it after the track is recorded?
The point of D/O's and to an even greater degree, 'insert-out's besides extra output options, is less 'stuff' in signal path. (potentially cleaner)
One camp says 'get it right going in', which is generally step one to good results regardless - but that can also mean just get it as close as you can and as direct as possible (do minimum damage with modest gear and/or will you eq it once, then still have to do it again later in the mix?.
Hope that helps.
Wayne

{{Agrees with mixsit}}
I don't know what mshilarious is saying though. Are you saying even though the direct outs say post that it really is pre?? 'Cause you said "No it means the opposite" to his question. Looking at the manual on this console it appears that the direct outs are definitely Post everything. However the aux sends generally would be post fader during monitoring unless you hit that pre button on Aux 1 and 2. But the manual also says the onboard effects are post only....so it depends on what effects you will be using (onboard or off).

the direct outs are after the eq, after the mute, and after the fader and are nonswitchable. this means that if you adjust the eq, fader, or mute switch, it will affect the signal from the direct out. the inserts on the board are all pre-eq, mute, and fader... this means that adjusting those functions will not give you any results from the insert point.

Ok, I think I've got it. Thanks a lot guys. I love this site!!
I think I like the "get it right going in" theory. Get it at least very close to right, and then maybe tweak as needed later. Guess I could always run the subs out to the DAW, and route the channel Thur them, if I had to. However, since you seem to be saying that the EQ, Mute, and Fader still affect the direct out...that won't be necessary. Starting to wish I had 16 ins on my DAW instead of 8.

Back