Is posting to Bandcamp/Soundcloud considered "releasing" an album?

jonpizzamaker

Hey all,

I'm Jon, a surf/psychedelic rock musician who is self-producing my first album. I have 4 out of 6 songs completed already.

My goal is to send the demos to a record label to get signed. And then have the label help with "releasing" the album. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a few (newbie?) questions:

1. If I post my full album on Bandcamp, is that considered "releasing" it already? Is it considered an album "release" if it's already available on Bandcamp/Soundcloud?

2. What if I call the album on Bandcamp "[Album name] Demos"? Would that make more sense? Maybe just include 3 out of 6 songs on there? 1 out of 6 songs?

3. Same question as #1, but for Spotify/Apple music via Distrokid/Cdbaby/etc. I'm pretty sure this counts as "releasing" it, and the label can't release it again. But can you confirm?

4. I want to make a music video for one of the songs and publish it on Youtube. Should I keep it off of Spotify so that the label can still release it in the future?

Thank you guys so much in advance! I know I come across as naive, as it's very hard to get signed by a label. But this is what I'm trying to accomplish!

Let me know if you're interested in listening to what I have so far and I can share!

Personally, I'd take any placement of a track to somewhere people can choose to listen or download as a 'release'. I think the old terms just warp into how it's done nowadays. I've not really thought about it, but we sell most of our music from our download site nowadays (ours are not really songs - just music tracks for people to do things to or with) - but I guess that makes our tracks 'releases' too - but also means that the quantity of releases, vs the number of sales is pretty dreadful!

If your going to release it commercially don’t post it up on free sights yet if you haven’t had it mastered. You don’t have your tracking codes yet. You’ll need your ISRC and UPC. Now days those are easy to get for uploads. I think places like CDBaby can master for physical and upload sales, and generate all your codes for you. You need codes for each song, and also codes for the album.

My goal is to send the demos to a record label to get signed.

Well...I think that's the same goal about a million other musicians have...so keep your expectations realistic.
Also...cold canvassing record labels with demos often gets automatic rejections (though not with every label) because they get hundreds of demos each day.

...and the label can't release it again.

Why do you think that?
If you sign with one record label, then you can't go to another....but using bandcamp and your own internet uploads wherever...that may count as a "release", but it doesn't prevent a label signing you and releasing it.
Actually...if you get your music a fairly good internet following, you can use that to help get record label interest....but again, millions of other musicians are doing the exact same thing...so just don't expect instant interest just 'cuz you posted something on the internet.

Your best bet is to research who/what/where handles your kind of music. Try to find some music industry connections in that genre, and use them as a stepping stone to a record label, which will more easily accept something coming from someone they know.

my thoughts:

As far as copyright is concerned, Yes, posting up on websites for sale or for free is 'publishing' your tunes/album. It is out there for public dissemination and meets the copyright's office definition or publishing. (I know it's not what you're asking, but is kinda part of the answer.)

As far as a label is concerned, they wouldn't care less if you posted your tunes/album up for sale. In fact, as Miro said, if you can garner a following that will make you more attractive to a record label. Many bands and artists will put out music on their own and later get signed. When that happens, the label would have them sign over copyrights for the publisher. Something like that.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Thank you all for the tips and feedback! Sounds like there's nothing to be afraid of to post all of my music online initially to get a following.

From there, the music label can still decide to release it again, under their own domain. Cheers all!

Back