Is It Possible to Record An Album On My Own?

IllAdvised

Banned
I've spent the last few months investing in some studio equipment with the intention of recording my own material. I'm a college music major and I've taken some audio engineering classes and recently purchased Pro Tools which I am trying to learn and surprisingly find very comfortable and user friendly.

I'm at the point where I really want to record something other than a single to release. I don't want to record an EP, because everyone and their grandmother seems to "have an EP coming out" and because I still believe in the album. I'm not looking to make a super polished auto-tuned commercially dull record. I want to make a record that sounds like my band, that sounds unique like records used to, but still sounds good and serves the song.

I write and record all the music in my band and am hugely inspired by people like Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, Todd Rundgren, Jack White, and Dave Grohl both artistically and musically, so I would be doing mostly everything myself.

I've gotten the gear I think is enough to at least do most of the tracking on my own:

Pro Tools 10
Logic Pro
iMac
Yamaha HS50 speakers
Apogee Duet Interface
Carbon 49 Midi Keyboard
SM7B microphone
Shure 58A Beta Microphone

Plugins/Software:

Guitar Rig 5
Reaktor
Kontakt
Absynth
Ozone 8
And so on...

I have some drum tracks from a previous session at a studio that I am currently finishing up, but am still considering programming for the sake of time and money but I'm still very torn. All this being said, is it possible, given the equipment I have, that I might be able to put out a decent sounding album? If not, what do I need/need to do to achieve it? Obviously I know this will be really time consuming and involve learning on the fly, but I have all summer to try and make this happen.

I've read a lot of the threads here and I'd love to get some wisdom/feedback/suggestions from all the bright people here at HR.

Is it possible to record an album on one's own? Of course. People around here do it all the time. I've done three of them.

Can you record an album of your band on your own? That's an unknown - depends very much on how much you know and can learn about engineering and mixing.

I'd say you're a few microphones light to record an album, but I don't know what style of music you're planning. And yes, you can program drums, but can you program drums? Not as easy as you may think....;)

Welcome. You'll probably be needing some answers along the way...:drunk::thumbs up:

I would answer 'yes' to your original question.

It is not so easy to make it happen, without a bunch of time experimenting, and learning. I am not even close to getting what I want to hear from my own mixes. I'm not even sure I will ever be happy really, but I keep moving forward every day. Things that seemed unachievable years ago, are now second nature. Experience tends to do that to us.

Each and every project, brings a new found level of confidence. Step by step, we learn what works for us.

Spending money on gear helps, but I realized a while back, that it is the performance that really makes it happen. Acoustic treatment is definitely the second most important step. Once I was able to accurately hear/record in a room that didn't have so many issues, it became apparent what was actually happening.

Shiny, expensive gear, is only as good as the room it is used to record in. Capturing a great performance in a crappy room, will still sound like a crappy recording. Well, unless you wish to get that sound, what do some call that? Lo fi? I don't know...

For me, I have found it more important to get any recording to sound like it does in the head of the artist that created it. Whatever that is, is dependent first, on having the space to record it properly. I have my rooms treated at what would likely be considered, a minimum amount. That being said, My recording PC and DAW, cost less than my room treatment did.

Best investment I have ever made.

Thanks for the responses thus far guys! Much appreciated!

Is it possible to record an album on one's own? Of course. People around here do it all the time. I've done three of them.

Can you record an album of your band on your own? That's an unknown - depends very much on how much you know and can learn about engineering and mixing.

I'd say you're a few microphones light to record an album, but I don't know what style of music you're planning. And yes, you can program drums, but can you program drums? Not as easy as you may think....;)

Welcome. You'll probably be needing some answers along the way...:drunk::thumbs up:

Thanks for the feedback, Armistice. To answer a few of the points you touched on, as far as the style of music...I really don't have a good idea of what my 'sound' is since it's still developing. I know it sometimes takes bands an album or two to get an idea of what their sound or core is. As far as the different amalgamation of styles that comprise my music, they tend to be evolving. The older material (the songs I have drum tracks for) are very post-hardcore and alternative rock influenced. Bands that people have compared the songs to are Thursday, The Used, and Fugazi. Some of these songs date back to when I started writing them in high school, so I feel like they need to be overhauled in some ways to fit with the newer, more mature material. At the same time, it's hard to envision them as anything other than they are since I've lived with them and performed them for a number of years.

The newer material is more heavily influenced by soundscapes and heavy arrangements; full string arrangements, layers of synthesizers, modified guitars run through different whacky programs buzzing in the background, orchestral instrumentation, while incorporating metal guitars, live alternative rock/punk drums, and some programmed drums (not trying to simulate real drums, but rather to accomplish things live drums cannot) with poppy choruses and screamed vocals where it makes sense. Since I stopped working under the typical band set up, things have pretty much evolved to a more grandiose sound instead of just amps up to 11 post-hardcore. I'm still not sure where it's going, but I can say I don't really have an interest in making a post-hardcore or straight ahead punk or alternative rock album (not that there's anything wrong with that...I just would like to do something different). Needless to say, my mind is going in a million different directions and it's quite a daunting task even approaching these arrangements that seem to be going well passed 35 to 50 tracks. I most definitely will have lots of questions!!

I would answer 'yes' to your original question.

It is not so easy to make it happen, without a bunch of time experimenting, and learning. I am not even close to getting what I want to hear from my own mixes. I'm not even sure I will ever be happy really, but I keep moving forward every day. Things that seemed unachievable years ago, are now second nature. Experience tends to do that to us.

Each and every project, brings a new found level of confidence. Step by step, we learn what works for us.

Spending money on gear helps, but I realized a while back, that it is the performance that really makes it happen. Acoustic treatment is definitely the second most important step. Once I was able to accurately hear/record in a room that didn't have so many issues, it became apparent what was actually happening.

Shiny, expensive gear, is only as good as the room it is used to record in. Capturing a great performance in a crappy room, will still sound like a crappy recording. Well, unless you wish to get that sound, what do some call that? Lo fi? I don't know...

For me, I have found it more important to get any recording to sound like it does in the head of the artist that created it. Whatever that is, is dependent first, on having the space to record it properly. I have my rooms treated at what would likely be considered, a minimum amount. That being said, My recording PC and DAW, cost less than my room treatment did.

Best investment I have ever made.

Hey Jimmy, thanks for the response. You mentioned a lot of great points and actually touched on several issues I've always had. I purchased the HS50's because they are pretty flat monitors. I definitely could use some acoustic treatment, but at this point I still need to save up enough money to do it. I'm pretty much relying on Native Instruments plugins in lieu of any outboard gear. Of course I'd love to have some gear, but I can't afford it!

You mentioned getting a recording to sound 'like it does in the head of the artist that created it.' That's my main issue. I can never seem to match it. I labor for days recording and then mix a song, and then I listen back and analyze every single part and essentially scrap mostly everything (mainly the vocals and sometimes guitars) and re-do it all over again. This can partially be attributed to working with other people in the past and having to do things pretty quickly (you know, a friend 'helping you out' and the vocals get rushed by the end of it).

I've sometimes gotten friends interested in helping me track help record, but in the recording process, when it comes to vocals, I get little direction. The pitches are fine, but I find that the emotion of a track is scattered. Producers obviously know how to get the best performance out of a musician, so I guess having someone rooting for you or pushing you who is objective is something I'm sorely lacking and would love to have. I've never really had a band that was fully dedicated or wanted to do the same things musically that I have and I've been through, as probably everyone has, a line of people who offer to do stuff, or mix stuff, or record stuff, or want to get things going and never fall through. So, I've just resorted to doing it myself. That being said, I don't think there's any way around that other than just taking the time to do it over and over until I get what I'm looking for.

I posted this thread not just because of the technical concerns I have, but just to hopefully get some objective feedback about what I realistically can and can't do. I'm not a great mixer. I can get a decent sounding rough mix but I don't have the experience or patience to get things where they need to be. I'm just trying to pretty much do as many things as I can on my own to hopefully lower the overhead for the things I cannot. I know I can technically record an album, but that doesn't mean it will sound good. I've been recording demos for a while now, and I'd really like to get things going and put something good out. Obviously, I have to pay my dues and I'm not expecting it to sound AMAZING, but just to do the song justice and have a unique characteristic. In this day and age people are pretty unwilling to take a chance on an unproven artist, which is understandable, so I'm just hoping to get some feedback as to what logically I can do, and what corners I can cut that won't be disastrous.

Hope that made some sense...

so I'm just hoping to get some feedback as to what logically I can do, and what corners I can cut that won't be disastrous.

Hope that made some sense...

That makes sense.
Welcome to the forums. ;)

The best advice I can give is just to have a nosey around and see what people are doing and, perhaps more importantly, how well they're doing it.

Plenty of people around here go the full DIY route from start to finish and a lot of them get fantastic results.
Of course there are others who struggle and that's life.
Keep in mind I know nothing about you. You could fall into either category. ;)

I'm slowly learning that the less you have to do (ITB) the better it will sound.

I had the foolish mentality of 'record a good performance then make it sound good',
but it really should sound good from the get go.
I'm talking about mic/instrument choice, position, the room etc.

Well tracked material just works soooo much better and I'm assuming Greg and Rami would be big advocates of that idea.(MP3 clinic)

I like the fact you mentioned Todd Rundgren as an influence. Not a lot of 'young' people even know who he is.
When he released Something/Anything (1972) and I found out he did all the instruments/vocals himself on 3 sides of the vinyl, I thought to myself 'I want to do that some day!' I released my first album in 2011. Learned a lot about recording SINCE then, but I'm not about to go back and re-record all of those tracks.
If you're not careful, when doing your own recording/engineering/producing you can get in the rut of constantly re-working the same song over and over (and over and over and ...). Assuming you are still fairly young (early 20s) dont' be so concerned with finding 'your style' at this point. Nothing should make you stick to one style (again, take Todd Rundgren as an influence - he has rewritten his style every few years, arguably to the detriment of his commercial success).

So, just go for it. Those releasing EPs these days are those who don't have enough songs for a whole album!

The best way to learn how to record an album on your own?

Record an album on your own.

But by the end of the summer you'll have learned so much you'll want to start over, fair warning.:facepalm:

At least this community here can give you lots of tips and feedback on your mixes and such, to help you along.

I say go for it.

That made complete sense dood. I like you already. :)

Thanks! You too, man. Your advice is much appreciated!

That makes sense.
Welcome to the forums. ;)

The best advice I can give is just to have a nosey around and see what people are doing and, perhaps more importantly, how well they're doing it.

Plenty of people around here go the full DIY route from start to finish and a lot of them get fantastic results.
Of course there are others who struggle and that's life.
Keep in mind I know nothing about you. You could fall into either category. ;)

I'm slowly learning that the less you have to do (ITB) the better it will sound.

I had the foolish mentality of 'record a good performance then make it sound good',
but it really should sound good from the get go.
I'm talking about mic/instrument choice, position, the room etc.

Well tracked material just works soooo much better and I'm assuming Greg and Rami would be big advocates of that idea.(MP3 clinic)

Definitely! That's inspiring to know that others here at HR have achieved great results. I've been doing mostly everything (other than live drums) DI with plugins or either having a friend who works at a studio re-amping it. Probably the biggest thing I need to work on is recording vocals since I really don't have much experience doing that. I'm awkward in that I love tons of layers and cool production on records, but I'm impatient in that I just want to plugin and play, or at the very least just perform it as I would perform it and have it be captured that way. Obviously, it's not that simple!

I like the fact you mentioned Todd Rundgren as an influence. Not a lot of 'young' people even know who he is.
When he released Something/Anything (1972) and I found out he did all the instruments/vocals himself on 3 sides of the vinyl, I thought to myself 'I want to do that some day!' I released my first album in 2011. Learned a lot about recording SINCE then, but I'm not about to go back and re-record all of those tracks.
If you're not careful, when doing your own recording/engineering/producing you can get in the rut of constantly re-working the same song over and over (and over and over and ...). Assuming you are still fairly young (early 20s) dont' be so concerned with finding 'your style' at this point. Nothing should make you stick to one style (again, take Todd Rundgren as an influence - he has rewritten his style every few years, arguably to the detriment of his commercial success).

So, just go for it. Those releasing EPs these days are those who don't have enough songs for a whole album!

I grew up listening to Todd Rundgren, Jackson Browne, Hall and Oats (my mom and her siblings grew up down the street from them in Phili), the Eagles, Pink Floyd, Springsteen, and tons of 70s and 80s rock. So melody has always been really important to me and has influenced everything I attempt to do. When I started recording everything myself (I had always written all the parts, but under the guise of a band) I got a lot of 'You can't do that and play rock music!' so I revisited a lot of Rundgren's material (especially Something/Anything and the Hermit of Mink Hollow along with his later material) and he was a HUGE inspiration along with Trent Reznor, Prince, and Dave Grohl (first FF record). So I definitely get the inspiration! I just turned 20, but it feels like I have to know everything immediately. I always feel like the clock is ticking just given the nature of the industry. My concern stylistically is just that the album sounds and feels cohesive. That being said, your advice is much appreciated and it's nice to hear not to worry for once ha.

The best way to learn how to record an album on your own?

Record an album on your own.

But by the end of the summer you'll have learned so much you'll want to start over, fair warning.:facepalm:

At least this community here can give you lots of tips and feedback on your mixes and such, to help you along.

I say go for it.

Thanks! You guys have all been so kind and welcoming. I've been on other audio forums in the past where people are just ready to bite your head off if you're not a jaded veteran. It means a lot!

Yo Ill! Of course you can record an album on your own, and I agree with the statement that your mic locker is missing some important tools. The Duet also limits the number of tracks you can record simultaneously. I recorded my first album, starting with less gear and less knowledge than you have right now.This is the best I can tell you- Recording your own album is the slowest, most difficult, most expensive way to do it. And- the quality of recording will suffer from your inexperience. However, it is also the most rewarding, most educational, and most fun way to do it. You can go to the studio and let the wizards stick their magic wands in front of you, if you want. In the end, you will own nothing, and you will learn nothing. Or- you can do it the hard way and keep all the toys. Note that if you do it right, it will take long enough that by the time you are done, a bunch of your gear will most likely be obsolete. The good mics will stay. With your limited number of tracks available, the rest of your band, and you, will need to learn the skill set of recording artists, which is not the same as the skill set of a performing band member. To do overdubs well with headphone mixes and click tracks takes time and practice. But at least- you won't be paying by the hour for the learning curve. I outsourced the mixing and mastering on my first, to pros right here at Homerec. It was enough in 2 1/2 years to try to become a tracking engineer and producer.

My other best advice- if you produce yourself, You need to have a realistic view of your strengths and weaknesses. Don't do what you can't do. Find people who can, if you need to. Knowing what your best is= knowing when to quit, and when to track it- again. It also means knowing when to delete a song from the program because it just doesn't work. If you think you are a superstar, that's when you need a real producer to tell you that you're not. Best of luck. We'll be there for you.

Last edited:
Wow, you've got some great responses in this thread. And they all resonate with the same theme; do it yourself and learn from the process, don't expect your first attempt to yield the results you want.

I think, like most others, your first album isn't going to be great. Mine sucked horribly. So, put songs on it that you don't mind walking away from. Save you better songs for your 2nd album. Use the first one just as a learning tool. Make it an EP or something, 5 songs you don't really care about. Then go for it big time with all the newly acquired knowledge and make your 2nd album awesome.

Wow, you've got some great responses in this thread. And they all resonate with the same theme; do it yourself and learn from the process, don't expect your first attempt to yield the results you want.

I think, like most others, your first album isn't going to be great. Mine sucked horribly. So, put songs on it that you don't mind walking away from. Save you better songs for your 2nd album. Use the first one just as a learning tool. Make it an EP or something, 5 songs you don't really care about. Then go for it big time with all the newly acquired knowledge and make your 2nd album awesome.

Or- as I did it. I spec'd gear for a year, then spent 8 months laying down the guide tracks. Then another 6 months of overdub sessions, followed by mixing, mastering, original cover art, artistic design, and duplication. Ha! Want to drag it out further? Do just one cover, and figure out how to pay the mechanical royalties to the Harry Fox agency. Register the recording and manuscript copyright for every song. Join ASCAP. Figure out the work-for-hire agreements for the overdub staff, and how to pay their residuals. It's a Royal pain in the arse, but it will teach you what you need to know to record other people. And when you discover that you've now got the price of a new Lexus in instruments and gear, you'll need to record other people to cut your losses on all that gear. I said I started with less than the OP. I didn't say I finished the album that way. There was a fair amount of Neumann, Avalon, and Digidesign between point A and point B. Enjoy, Ill! Your path to Hell has begun, paved with good intentions, an SM7b, and a 2-channel interface.

Another vote for "give it a shot." Understand, though, that production is half art and half science, meaning just having the tools and knowing how to use them isn't enough. Still, there's no reason at all why you shouldn't give it a try, particularly as you're willing to learn. Two words of warning: 1. Whatever you want to do is going to take much longer than you think. 2. You'll never be satisfied with the gear that you have. :)

Yo Ill! Of course you can record an album on your own, and I agree with the statement that your mic locker is missing some important tools. The Duet also limits the number of tracks you can record simultaneously. I recorded my first album, starting with less gear and less knowledge than you have right now.This is the best I can tell you- Recording your own album is the slowest, most difficult, most expensive way to do it. And- the quality of recording will suffer from your inexperience. However, it is also the most rewarding, most educational, and most fun way to do it. You can go to the studio and let the wizards stick their magic wands in front of you, if you want. In the end, you will own nothing, and you will learn nothing. Or- you can do it the hard way and keep all the toys. Note that if you do it right, it will take long enough that by the time you are done, a bunch of your gear will most likely be obsolete. The good mics will stay. With your limited number of tracks available, the rest of your band, and you, will need to learn the skill set of recording artists, which is not the same as the skill set of a performing band member. To do overdubs well with headphone mixes and click tracks takes time and practice. But at least- you won't be paying by the hour for the learning curve. I outsourced the mixing and mastering on my first, to pros right here at Homerec. It was enough in 2 1/2 years to try to become a tracking engineer and producer.

My other best advice- if you produce yourself, You need to have a realistic view of your strengths and weaknesses. Don't do what you can't do. Find people who can, if you need to. Knowing what your best is= knowing when to quit, and when to track it- again. It also means knowing when to delete a song from the program because it just doesn't work. If you think you are a superstar, that's when you need a real producer to tell you that you're not. Best of luck. We'll be there for you.

Hey, Richard! Thank you for the wisdom! I went for the duet because of the high end converters and figured, short of tracking drums, it would be enough to get a quality recording. When my band was still a band, in high school we went to record with my long-time drumming instructor who tours extensively. Needless to say, we got screwed over on the price to the point of paying $2,000 (about $1,000 more than the agreed price, we were 17 year old kids who took him by his word. He held our tracks hostage) for three tracks which if I posted the mixes and recording quality (they had all the 'tools' including the MTV Unplugged Soundboard, but didn't know how to use them clearly) the mixes my friends and I have done are superior. I've probably spent a little more of that on all my gear, software, and hardware, so I most definitely agree with you on the difference.

Control is a big thing for me. "I'd rather die than give you control" is one of my favorite lyrics. I can't tell you how many times I have recorded at a studio or with a friend and the mix has been unsatisfactory and it has been a pain to get the tracks. I love having everything under my control so if I want to change the mix or re-do something, I don't have to start from scratch. Like you said, at least I won't be paying by the hour to learn and make mistakes as I did in the past. I also get quite self-conscious vocally so doing it on my own allows me to get a better performance when I don't have an engineer yelling at me haha.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm such a perfectionist and I believe all the songs I have, although some are better than others, deserve to be presented in the best way possible. I've definitely seen bands who have been on smaller labels or done it DIY and some of the earlier albums/EPs have lower quality, but I guess people still enjoy the songs and take it as a snapshot of a moment in time.

Or- as I did it. I spec'd gear for a year, then spent 8 months laying down the guide tracks. Then another 6 months of overdub sessions, followed by mixing, mastering, original cover art, artistic design, and duplication. Ha! Want to drag it out further? Do just one cover, and figure out how to pay the mechanical royalties to the Harry Fox agency. Register the recording and manuscript copyright for every song. Join ASCAP. Figure out the work-for-hire agreements for the overdub staff, and how to pay their residuals. It's a Royal pain in the arse, but it will teach you what you need to know to record other people. And when you discover that you've now got the price of a new Lexus in instruments and gear, you'll need to record other people to cut your losses on all that gear. I said I started with less than the OP. I didn't say I finished the album that way. There was a fair amount of Neumann, Avalon, and Digidesign between point A and point B. Enjoy, Ill! Your path to Hell has begun, paved with good intentions, an SM7b, and a 2-channel interface.

Ha! I try to be no fool about what to expect. I most definitely try not be naive and I'm actually very interested in the business side and have done my best to educate myself since high school and here in college. I don't know how I'd ever encompass gear that adds up to the price of a Lexus! Would be nice ha!

Another vote for "give it a shot." Understand, though, that production is half art and half science, meaning just having the tools and knowing how to use them isn't enough. Still, there's no reason at all why you shouldn't give it a try, particularly as you're willing to learn. Two words of warning: 1. Whatever you want to do is going to take much longer than you think. 2. You'll never be satisfied with the gear that you have. :)

Thanks! My gear is most definitely not enough and I'm pretty much relegating myself to software instruments for stuff that I just can't afford to do (tons of guitar amps = Guitar Rig, Absynth for synths, and all that other NI stuff for strings, orchestral stuff, drums, etc.). From what all of you have been saying, the mixing process is going to be where I need the most help, as I've pretty much expected. And, I'm sure that's going to be the most expensive portion, costing several thousand dollars to mix a whole album at least.

My mentality up to this point has been to learn as much as I can while I go along, and record as well as I can with the tools I have, get a rough mix, and then pass it off to an experienced engineer who can do what it necessary for the songs much more quickly and efficiently than I would be. That is my most definite weakness at this point: mixing. Musically, since I'm a 'one-man-band' I can get by on pretty much any instrument to do what I need to do short of tracking actually string instruments and quirkier instruments.

I guess my remaining questions for all of you guys are:

1. What extra equipment or microphones do you think I need to get?
2. Realistically, what do you think it would cost to mix and master a 10-12 track album?
3. Is it worth it to try and find a producer?

My biggest issue at this point is motivation. It's hard to be motivated when you're doing it all on your own with no producer, no engineer, and no band. I'm doing this out of necessity and because I believe in what I want to do, even if others may not. I have TONS to learn and no doubt this album will not be perfect musically or mixing wise. But, I'm not one who thinks waiting around playing clubs and hoping someone will 'discover' them is the right way to go. You have to make your own luck, for sure.

Also, someone suggested getting some advice on some mixes along the way. I have three that I was hoping you all would be kind enough to give me some feedback on what I could do to make them better when I re-record them.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mp3-mixing-clinic/mix-advice-tips-3-tracks-357964/

Thanks so much again for all the comments, insight, and inspiration. It means more than you guys know.

As far as mics go, I'd add:

1. A matched small diaphragm condenser pair- Check Oktava MC012 at "the Sound Room", Shure SM81, Rode NT-5, Studio Projects C-4. For expensive-Josephson C42, Neumann KM184. To die for- Schoeps, DPA. Any of those will do the job.

2. A multipattern large diaphragm condenser- For cheap, CAD M179, expensive- AKG C414, Shure KSM44, AT4050. Expensive as Hell- Neumann U87, B.L.U.E. Kiwi.

3. Whatever main vocal mic works for you- No man can predict this. The SM7b you already have could be it.

4. Dedicated low-frequency mic- I like AKG D112.

5. Swiss Army knife mic- good for lots of stuff. I like AKG C2000B, now being discontinued. Being blown out by Sweetwater for $99 each. Get a pair now! A pair of those can also do the matched stereo pair thing, and kill a bunch of birds with one stone. The deal will not last long. A pair of these right now, while they are still available, is a no-brainer.

Best of luck

Oh yeah- cost to mix- about 2 grand. Mastering- about a grand. These figures are *extremely* variable, depending on how good the people are, and whether they believe your claims of poverty. You can get incompetents to mix and master real cheap, and you will usually get what you paid for.

As far as mics go, I'd add:

1. A matched small diaphragm condenser pair- Check Oktava MC012 at "the Sound Room", Shure SM81, Rode NT-5, Studio Projects C-4. For expensive-Josephson C42, Neumann KM184. To die for- Schoeps, DPA. Any of those will do the job.

2. A multipattern large diaphragm condenser- For cheap, CAD M179, expensive- AKG C414, Shure KSM44, AT4050. Expensive as Hell- Neumann U87, B.L.U.E. Kiwi.

3. Whatever main vocal mic works for you- No man can predict this. The SM7b you already have could be it.

4. Dedicated low-frequency mic- I like AKG D112.

5. Swiss Army knife mic- good for lots of stuff. I like AKG C2000B, now being discontinued. Being blown out by Sweetwater for $99 each. Get a pair now! A pair of those can also do the matched stereo pair thing, and kill a bunch of birds with one stone. The deal will not last long. A pair of these right now, while they are still available, is a no-brainer.

Best of luck

Oh yeah- cost to mix- about 2 grand. Mastering- about a grand. These figures are *extremely* variable, depending on how good the people are, and whether they believe your claims of poverty. You can get incompetents to mix and master real cheap, and you will usually get what you paid for.

Thanks, Richard! I'll keep those in mind. Much appreciated!

Back