Pops 'n Clicks

Editor

I've got a bad case of the pops 'n clicks ever since upgrading my OS to XP Pro. This mainly shows up when I run Fruity Loops Producer--used to run clean when I had Windows ME...the CPU meter doesn't redline so I don't think I'm overtaxing anything. The noise shows up when I set up even a single track (I use Fruity mainly as a drum machine). Moving the mouse can create havok.

I think I know why the pops are happening but I was hoping you guys ( & Gals :-) could suggest some cheap alternatives to taking a wheelbarrow out to the Money Tree & carting a fresh load of bills down to the hardware store (darn! squirrels ate the tree! -- Editor's note: I don't have any money ;-)

Here's what I have:

emachine etower is (Celeron 600 mhz)
256 mb ram
Windows XP pro
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 (using KX Project drivers)

I know the 256 ram is a little low for XP but thats' the emachine's limit (I hear there is a way to bump it up to 512 but the 168 pin SIMM's are pretty rare & expensive nowadays). I have also found a site that shows how to shut down unnecessary XP processes & tried a bit of that but the pops 'n clicks are still there.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Chris

Hi Editor,

I'm having the same problem, but with Sonar 3 Producer Edition. After I upgrade to WinXP Pro all I get is noises. The problem is with Soundblaster (I have one too) drivers.

Check this thread, there are a few suggestions by some fellows. I didn't try the last one yet, but the others didn't work. You should give it a try, maybe it works for you.

;)
BShark

i'll jump in on this one too with the same deal...using xp home upgraded from window ME but bought the full version for a clean install of XP. i dont have the problem with fl studio except if i was jamming on guitar to a beat i made and when the monitor would cut off and I'd move the mouse to turn it back on the program would studder and freak out....that problem was solved by ugrading the ram to 512. however with the audiophile installed, recording at 24/96 gives me pops and clicks when i stop a track during playback or recording. i upped the I/O buffer to 1024. the clicks and pops arent inside the song so i've just dealt with it :( I know I'm not much of a help but just wanted to let yall know you arent the only ones

Thanks peoples for the replies.

I think I've stumbled on part of the problem--the KX drivers lock your sound input/output to 48000...some of my old sequences were recorded this way.

While sipping a glass of rum, I started poking around in the Options/Setup/Preferences areas (Editor's note: I have been told that this was the same procedure used to create Windows in the first place ;-) and found that Fruity Loops was set to 44100. I changed it to 48000.

THIS removed most of the trouble but I also have a lead on some extra ram. As 'distorted' pointed out, I think upping the ole 256 mb would help too.

Back