Pop shield for my mic!

bsanfordnyc

Howdy folks...

Just bought a MXL v67 last weekend. sounds great!

I haven't had the time to get over to Sam Ash and buy a pop shield yet, so I made a makeshift one out of my girlfriends panty-hose stretched over a coat hanger which I made round. (looks and SMELLS great!)

1. Is this sufficient for now, or are these pro-pop filters made of some super absorbant material that panty hose is not?

2. What is the ideal distance to have the pop-shield from the mic in order for it to protect from moisture etc? I sing fairly close to the mic and I don't want my hot, taco bell breath damaging my new toy!

Thanks,

Ben

I did that once and it worked fine. Although later I bought a good one on sale at sam ash for $15.00...its built ( adjustable flex pipe with clamp for mic stand) and looks better than the homemade job and $15 is not bad.
I would normally keep about 1-2" from the mic. Depends on wether your singin or screamin

Yes, this is sufficient, but I guess you don't want your friends going to your place and 'smell' your girlfriend's panty... :rolleyes:

I'd rather spend $15 bucks. :D

I prefer the steel pop filters such as Stedman 101. They are a little pricey, but they are easy to position and don't get runs in them.-Richie

Make sure you keep using that same principle with equipment purchases - you will blend right in.

Back