Plugging in 2 sets of headphones into audio interface

captshiznit

Hi guys,

Quick question. I've bought a focusrite saffire scarlett and you can plug in a set of headphones at the front which allows me to play my vocalist the mix and allows him to hear himself but I was wondering how can a plug in another set of headphones so I can also hear him and the mix, but the problem is there is only one headphone jack on the AI so where would I try plug in mine? Of course I can play it through monitors at the same time but we have the pc in the same room where we record so can't really do that.

I was thinking I could just buy a headphone splitter and plug it into the interface and have 2 sets of headphones in the jack. But I was wondering will it be able to power 2 sets of high quality headphones such as sennheisers or would that not work?

Thanks!

It's not "best practice" but, with only two sets of 'phones, it would likely work with a simple passive splitter.

However, to do it properly, you should add a proper headphone amp to your Christmas list. Even the cheapies work fine and would generally give you four (or more) proper headphone outs with individual level control.

It's not "best practice" but, with only two sets of 'phones, it would likely work with a simple passive splitter.

However, to do it properly, you should add a proper headphone amp to your Christmas list. Even the cheapies work fine and would generally give you four (or more) proper headphone outs with individual level control.

Yeah I think i'll go straight to trying to get a headphone amp then one which just have 2 outputs are pretty cheap 30-40 dollars it seems, would they be ok?

I used to use a splitter. The only downside I found is there wasn't as much gain available when I used one.

You could snag a cheap Rolls headphone amp if you wanted to go that way.

I've been using an 8 way splitter like this for nearly 20 years. It's a great option although for less money a 4 output headphone amp is a better deal. What I've done sometimes when recording with a drummer who really plays loudly is to route his headphones to him from the DAW headphone socket and output the DAW to my stereo amp {which is in the room I record drums in} and use the amp headphone socket for myself, that way, I can have the volume up loud and hear myself. Most of the time, we just use the splitter though.

Here's something I bet nobody here has though of. Headphone transducers will act as microphones and send bleed to the other headphones. If recording a loud band all at once with passive splitters a lot of LF will bleed into each set of 'phones and come out the others. It's not a strong effect, but with a bunch of headphones hooked up together it can definitely start to decrease clarity. This may not be the OP's situation but it's handy to know before you get into a big session without a proper headphone amp.

Here's something I bet nobody here has though of. Headphone transducers will act as microphones
On occasion, I actually use the headphone as a mike. Like if I'm tracking and a bit that fits with the song I'm working on comes to me, I'll use the headphone to record me humming it into a spare track because I couldn't be bothered to set up microphones, leads etc. I've also recorded tambourines and light percussion with the headphone as a mic. Not earth shattering results, but useable. Interesting for lo~fi / raw sounds.

There's some people who claim that the best "microphone" for bass drums is actually a loudspeaker up close to the skin. It's not something I've played with myself but those that do it swear by it.

:facepalm: Well I have to admit ..... I jam two low impedance microphones into my ears then plug them into my headphone amp. :rolleyes:

I've been using an 8 way splitter like this for nearly 20 years. .
That's the funniest thing. I use the AMR-PD-4 (same company, but the 4 headphone version) for about the last 20 years. One of the first things I ever got for my "studio" at the time. Still works and comes in handy all the time.

On occasion, I actually use the headphone as a mike. Like if I'm tracking and a bit that fits with the song I'm working on comes to me, I'll use the headphone to record me humming it into a spare track because I couldn't be bothered to set up microphones, leads etc. I've also recorded tambourines and light percussion with the headphone as a mic. Not earth shattering results, but useable. Interesting for lo~fi / raw sounds.

I've clamped headphones to bodies of basses and cellos and plugged them right into unbalanced high impedance mic inputs of an old mixer.

There's some people who claim that the best "microphone" for bass drums is actually a loudspeaker up close to the skin. It's not something I've played with myself but those that do it swear by it.

Yamaha's Subkick is exactly that. I think most people use it with another kick mic.

:facepalm: Well I have to admit ..... I jam two low impedance microphones into my ears then plug them into my headphone amp. :rolleyes:

If they are dynamics it will "work" until you burn out the coils. One of the first experiments in recording I did was using a dynamic mic as a speaker inside various containers along with a second mic to pick up the weird effect it had on the source.

If they are dynamics it will "work" until you burn out the coils. One of the first experiments in recording I did was using a dynamic mic as a speaker inside various containers along with a second mic to pick up the weird effect it had on the source.

Must of had some really *weird effects*!

Back