Please kick my ass on this !

lbmusic

Hi there !

My name is Larry (Laurent) am I started producing music using Ableton Live a few months ago.

I'm a Jazz saxophone player and I am curious of what's gonna come out trying to compose more of a electronic kind of music.

I'll be posting my first EP in the next few days and I'd love to have some feedback from this community.

Here's the first track called ''Bababa Kaba''

(Oh well, apparently I'm not allowed to post links on this forum yet. I would be super grateful if you would just do the extra step and search ''lbmusic bababa kaba'' on Youtube, you'll find it right away. Thanks !)

I've got it up right now.

I'm not big into the electronica music scene, so that's going to color my opinion on it. (Not all electronic music btw, I LOVED the stuff that Tomita and Wendy Carlos did back in the 70s!) Its just that it was a bit "jerky" for me. It started to lose me around 1.5 minutes in, then it recovered at around 2 minutes when you brought the sax back. Again, that's a personal preference. I'm pretty "old school". I like melody and harmony in my music, and more traditional jazz.

Recording wise, it was pretty good. I like the way you tried to integrate the sax in. I actually wanted to hear more sax work, and let the synths move back a bit.

That said, its a good effort. If this is your original work, then you got good skills. Keep at it, and don't let old farts like me discourage you! ;)

Thanks bainmack, will do ! I'll try to add valuable comments around the forum :-)

TalismanRich, it's great to hear your feedback! I also feel ''out'' of the electronic music scene, to be honest. Getting into it ! I'm a accoustic Jazz guy at first :-)

If the track lost you for only about 30 seconds, that's a good sign ! I'll see if I can make it more interesting.

I guess it was meant to be ''jerky'' though. I have some other tracks that you might like better ! (I'll post them in the show-off forum in due time).

I'm still trying to find my balance between synths and live instruments. I think my wind instruments will eventually have more importance :-).

I value any kind of input, so THANK YOU FOLKS :listeningmusic:

Hi Larry

Just had a listen through a few different systems. I'm actually very impressed with the musicality of the piece. I've always enjoyed jazz and dance/electronic fusions. I think you have the musical balance just right. The ideas and arrangement are great, you have some excellent sounds in there and it progresses nicely. These are all the most important things, if the music is right, the technicalities will start to fall into place easily. I've listened through my home monitoring system, my meridian hi-fi set up and the monitors in the properly treated rooms at the studios. I think the low end is lacking, there is no real sub to add the energy down there. There are times where you get a bit of real low information poking through, but the reece style bass under the sax solo later on in the tune could be made so much more of. I think the mix could have more stereo energy. Not necessarily lots of hard panned elements, just a wider top/high end, maybe high-mid using some mid-side work. Possibly a bit more punch/transient energy (but I'd want to hear that to compare to see which works best). I hope this doesn't sound too harsh I dont mean to criticise. You are 90% there with the composition. I'm wondering if you would like me to do a mix/master for you? I'm looking to get more freelance work in those areas, so trying to find a few good pieces I'm more than happy to do for free for portfolio work. If you're interested I would need each track and any sends bounced individually. Also any processing on groups and the master channels removed. Also what sample rate and bit depth did you record in? Obviously if you aren't interested that's cool, but the offer is there.

Hi Larry

Just had a listen through a few different systems. I'm actually very impressed with the musicality of the piece. I've always enjoyed jazz and dance/electronic fusions. I think you have the musical balance just right. The ideas and arrangement are great, you have some excellent sounds in there and it progresses nicely. These are all the most important things, if the music is right, the technicalities will start to fall into place easily. I've listened through my home monitoring system, my meridian hi-fi set up and the monitors in the properly treated rooms at the studios. I think the low end is lacking, there is no real sub to add the energy down there. There are times where you get a bit of real low information poking through, but the reece style bass under the sax solo later on in the tune could be made so much more of. I think the mix could have more stereo energy. Not necessarily lots of hard panned elements, just a wider top/high end, maybe high-mid using some mid-side work. Possibly a bit more punch/transient energy (but I'd want to hear that to compare to see which works best). I hope this doesn't sound too harsh I dont mean to criticise. You are 90% there with the composition. I'm wondering if you would like me to do a mix/master for you? I'm looking to get more freelance work in those areas, so trying to find a few good pieces I'm more than happy to do for free for portfolio work. If you're interested I would need each track and any sends bounced individually. Also any processing on groups and the master channels removed. Also what sample rate and bit depth did you record in? Obviously if you aren't interested that's cool, but the offer is there.

Wow, thank you so much for the time you've spent listening to my song! I feel honored! :listeningmusic:

What you say sounds totally legit and I'd be super interested to see what you can come up with.

I'd be happy to collab with you on that, let's get in touch in private.

Back