Please help. Recorded guitar track always sounds lower quality than live guitar.

ben4797625

When I am playing guitar it sounds great. But when I play back what I recorded it sounds really crappy.
It sounds harsh. As if it was recorded at a very low quality. But it wasn't. I record at 48000hz 24bit.

I'm using REAPER. And I am using an external soundcard. But I'm sure it is not a problem with the soundcard because I had the same sound quality issue when I used to record my guitar through the line in input on my computer.

I have also tried different guitars and it makes no difference :(

If you could upload a recording and post a link, we could be more helpful. By your description, I'm going to guess that you trying to record a signal that is too hot, causing clipping/distortion. Try lowering the input gain on your external card or preamp.

The signal input level is fine. There is no distortion. Well except for the distortion caused by the guitar amp vst lol!
I don't understand why the software does not record what I hear.

- I'm guessing it's an electric(?).
"Well except for the distortion caused by the guitar amp vst lol!"

- When I am playing guitar it sounds great." - Amped and micced or direct into the "soundcard"?

"But I'm sure it is not a problem with the soundcard because I had the same sound quality issue when I used to record my guitar through the line in input on my computer."

How are you listening when you play the guitar, both when recording and then playing back. Headphones, monitors(speakers), or other?

Speakers

- What external soundcard? Make, model?
Tascam. Though it's not relevent as I had the same issue using the soundcard in my computer.

- If you load a pre-recorded mp3 or wav file into Reaper, how does it sound when played back?
Everything sounds fine. The issue is with the quality of the recorded guitar track through a vst.

How about posting a sample so that we can have a guess at what might be causing the problem? "Sounds harsh" is about all we have to go on, which isn't a great help.

Extra information would help: what interface are you using. What is the VST, and whereabouts are you using the VST? Are you using it as an effect within Reaper?

What kind of guitar
What kind of guitar cable
Which pickup
What model of Tascam, how is it connected to your computer
What input gain level on the Tascam
Is the guitar plugged directly into the Tascam or are you micing an amp, or using amp line out to the Tascam
What amp if applicable, what gain/tone settings on amp, what kind of mic
What kind of VST/settings/level
Are you recording with the VST on, or, are mixing using the VST after
Is the input level clipping on the Tascam
What is the level on the input track?
How many tracks are you recording and mixing down?

That's should be a good start, plus an MP3 so we can tell you whether we think its good or bad in our opinion.

Back