Please HELP can't get my 166xs to work

AlexUK

So basically i'm trying to get my 166xs to work in my setup for compression and a noise gate in my podcast and livestreams. The problem is that i get no audio pickup at all when i have my triton fet head connected as a preamp at the mic. But as soon as i unplug the fet head i get a audio signal from the mic when i turn the output gain on max +20 on the 166xs, but it's a increadiby weak sound and has a lot of hissing with it. If i use the setup without the 166xs involed the fet head works perfectly at boosting the signal cleanly, so i feel like the fet head works fine, but as soon as i use the fet head in line with the 166xs it's almost blocks the signal from the microphone completely. Do i need a new preamp for this setup to work or have i set it up wrong, or am i stupid lol. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense i'm still fairly new to understanding external mic hardwear

Equipment
Mic: Rode Procaster
Audio Interface: Focusrite scarlett solo 2nd gen
preamp: Triton fet head
Compressor / Limiter / Gate: dbx 166xs
XLR: ugreen

Last edited:
If you are going from the Procaster --> FEThead --> DBX --> Scarlett, then that's your problem.

The DBX166 is a line level device that does not supply any phantom power, which the FEThead needs to operate. In addition, the DBX is expecting to see voltages in the .3 - 2 volt range, not the millivolt range that you get from a microphone.

I'm not exactly sure if you can feed the line output from the Solo to the DBX and then back into the second channel of the Solo. It might set up a feedback loop. The interface is not set up for the normal line out/line in that you would use for a external compressor.

The first thing you need to do is remove the DBX and make sure you get good signal from the Procaster to the Scarlett, then add the FEThead to the chain. You don't mention the software you are using, but Focusrite includes compressor plugins with the Solo. You might be able to use one of those.

If you insist on using the DBX and can't route through the interface, you're only option will be to use a mixer before the DBX to supply a line level signal.

Thanks for the reply. Does any mixer support line level such as the Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer, Or is it more high end mixers that only do do line level. Sorry if thats a stupid question lol

Thanks for the reply. Does any mixer support line level such as the Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer, Or is it more high end mixers that only do do line level. Sorry if thats a stupid question lol

Virtually all mixers have line level outputs. Many have pro line level outputs for driving PA and pro recording systems along with consumer line level outputs for sending to tape machines or other recorders with such inputs. A few have line level outputs that are switchable to mic level so you can submix into another mixer's mic inputs.

I've been looking through pre amps online and keep coming across passive pre amps do they give a line level or will it be too weak ?

I've been looking through pre amps online and keep coming across passive pre amps do they give a line level or will it be too weak ?

"Passive preamp" doesn't even make sense. It needs to be able to increase the level of the signal coming from the mic.

So would I be able to use the fethead as well as the ART tube mp if there is still not enough gain, as the fet head doesn't go into the 166xs but the tube mp ?

So would I be able to use the fethead as well as the ART tube mp if there is still not enough gain, as the fet head doesn't go into the 166xs but the tube mp ?

Yeah, you could use it, but you shouldn't need to. The ART will provide up to 70dB of gain, which will then be fed into the DBX and Scarlett. You should have PLENTY of signal to feed the Scarlett, which can provide another 56dB of gain. The FEThead only provides 27dB of gain.

Why did you buy the 166? Clearly it's not something you've been using for ages and love it - so I wonder why it got on your shopping list? Then I figured as you have more than one, you must have used them before and want to replicate something?

Back