Please allow me to introduce myself...

diggy_dude

Now 169% diggier!
I am a man of taste, if not wealth. :p

I usually skip the introductory threads when I visit a new forum and jump right in a-postin'. However, I've been lurking here for a few days (primarily in the Mastering forum) and am so impressed with the level of expertise available to the novice producer on that board that I decided to take a moment to provide a context for my inane utterances that will surely follow. :D

First off, I am a total music whore. It would be pointless to name specific genres that I like because I like pretty much anything that has a beat. I even hear music in everyday environmental noises. So, for the sake of brevity, let me just say that I'm mainly interested in producing funk. I loves me some old school funk (e.g., EW&F, Johnny Pate, Mandrill), 80s electrofunk (Midnight Star, Kool & the Gang), funk dance (Paula Abdul), Snoop Dogg's funky-ass G funk... you name it. Me and funk is like Patty Duke and a hotdog, dig? ;)

That said, I have next to no musical talent myself. My background is in IT and electronics. I know how a compressor and a parametric equalizer work and what they do to a signal, but I'm about as tone deaf as they come. I can tell a well-balanced production from a shitty "loudness war" production and strongly prefer the former over the latter, although I know almost nothing about how to produce it. All I know is, writing XML feed parsers is not giving me the creative outlet that I crave. I've therefore spent the last year rounding up gear that I think will help me get the kind of sound I want.

Possibly irrelevant, but to hopefully give you an idea of where I'm coming from, is the fact that I fucking LOVE vintage analog electronics. My "iPod blaster" consists of a Technics New Class A integrated DC amp (ca. 1981) and two pairs of KEF C20s (ca. 1987) found dirt cheap on Ebay. To my ears, this is a damned near perfect low-budget stereo. I can play it loud for hours on end with no listening fatigue whatsoever. You don't even hear the system - the music just seems to float in the air. It's a beautiful thing, baby!

And - you're gonna laugh when you read this - the vast majority of my instruments were made by Casio. :eek: These include professional-grade models (e.g., CZ-3000, HT-6000, FZ-1, VZ-8M) as well as a shitload of "toy" models (e.g., SK-200, CT-410V, and almost every MT series keyboard you can name).

Well, this is getting long-winded, so I will save my complete gear list, books I've read, and other background information for a later post.

Regards,
Jim

i only opened this to ask if you were a man of wealth and taste, but it seems you've got that covered.

welcome to the forums.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Steenmaroo. May I call you Steen for short? :)

In hopes of allaying the deepest fear of you, my willing victims, let me assure you that I'll try to keep the fuckwitted n00b questions to a minimum. I don't want to be spoon fed anything. I am a tinkerer. An experimenter. A dabbler in ancient voodoo. I will have read the manuals, twisted the knobs, exhausted the relevant search results, and be thoroughly stumped before asking questions that seem obvious to the more senior posters.

Regards,
Jim

Same here Jim.
Welcome to the zoo. This place can be a wealth of knowledge as well as a monkey house! So fun while learning who could as for any thing more?

I like the funk also! Back in the day enjoying it's grooves I was but a lonely white boy bee boppn' around N. H. Till finally other backwoods, flannel wearing wild men and mountain girls got a clue.

Here in the noobs section you can ask away on any questions that you want with out fear of being flamed ~ A big forum rule ~ so don't feel silly about asking any mundane stupid feeling question you may have and remember that there is a search button at the top of all forums to research a bit then if you don't get it or want more in depth explanations feel free to ask. .... Just take a look first at some of the oldies but goodies and don't re ask them, questions like ..... *what microphone is best for vocals for under $100. in food stamps* have been asked hundreds of times.

I noticed that you didn't fill out all of your personals while signing up here where are ya from?

:cool:

Same here Jim.
Welcome to the zoo.

Thanks, moresound. :)

This place can be a wealth of knowledge as well as a monkey house! So fun while learning who could as for any thing more?

So I've seen. Whilst perusing the Mastering forum with absorbed interest, I was tickled to read some of the funniest flaming I've ever read! It reminded me of the dot com era Fucked Company BBS. :laughings:

I like the funk also! Back in the day enjoying it's grooves I was but a lonely white boy bee boppn' around N. H. Till finally other backwoods, flannel wearing wild men and mountain girls got a clue.

I don't think the folks here in Oklahoma will ever get a clue. This town is insipidly yawn-inspiring. I'm hoping to move away within a couple of years.

I noticed that you didn't fill out all of your personals while signing up here where are ya from?

I finally got around to that. I had to view 66 canned avatars one at a time. I presume a certain post count is needed to use your own avatar and title here.

Thanks again for the welcome! :D

Thanks, moresound. :)

So I've seen. Whilst perusing the Mastering forum with absorbed interest, I was tickled to read some of the funniest flaming I've ever read! It reminded me of the dot com era Fucked Company BBS. :laughings:

I don't think the folks here in Oklahoma will ever get a clue. This town is insipidly yawn-inspiring. I'm hoping to move away within a couple of years.

I finally got around to that. I had to view 66 canned avatars one at a time. I presume a certain post count is needed to use your own avatar and title here.

Thanks again for the welcome! :D

Yup I think that the magical number is 50 to post your own personal avatar as well as any rep points to start to show.

OK city! There are a bunch of people here from around that area.

Have fun Jim and I'll see you around the forums.

:cool:

BETTY, SHIRLEY, AL? Man I'm all kinds of confused now. Best if we all stick to using profanity. OK poo poo?

Speaking of poo poo, here's the first and only song I wrote and recorded. When I say "wrote" it, I mean that I wrote a script for Virtual MIDI Machine (VMM) to play it. VMM is a rather primitive but adequate multithreaded scripting language that processes MIDI events. I routed the output through MIDI-OX and out a Midisport 4x4 to play a Casio RZ-1, HT-700, and CZ-101 simultaneously. It was mixed with a Behringer UB1202. I don't remember whether I recorded it with an MR-8 using the built-in reverb or through the Digitech RP90 reverb into Ableton. Probably the latter.

Sympathy for the Neville

Please allow me to introduce myself...I am a man of taste, if not wealth. :p
But did you watch with glee while the kings and queens fought for ten decades, for the gods they made ?
If not, welcome to HR !
If so, as we meet I'll have some courtesy, some sympathy and some taste. I'll use all my well learned politesse so please don't lay my soul {or funk} to waste !

Woo woo !

Back