Pinch roller

Chrisptm

Hi all can anyone please answer my question regarding any inaccuracies ie shape and concentricity of a pinch roller on a reel to reel machine
And the influence it’s effect has on the final sound quality in the context of wow and flutter

Hi all can anyone please answer my question regarding any inaccuracies ie shape and concentricity of a pinch roller on a reel to reel machine
And the influence it’s effect has on the final sound quality in the context of wow and flutter

I think you have answered you own question? Any departure from round will have a PROFOUND effect on W&F!

I recall reading about a chap that makes new pinch rollers for many machines (in urethane I believe?) but I have no more information. Mr Sweetbeats will know!

One of the things about digital recording that has saved my sanity is the absence of wow! I can, if I have to, live with a bit of noise but pitch variation drives me mad! It is only THE very best tape machines in top nick that can deliver piano to my satisfaction.
(same goes for those horrible flat black things. Sometimes the wow is cut in!)

Dave.

Thanks for your input Dave
Although I have to say I’m still struggling with the physics of the capstan to pinch wheel effect
As far as I’m aware the pinch wheel is to add pressure to the capstan and tape
During play back
therefore it’s likely to deform slightly anyway although this is likely to be a very small amount
Also If I’m correct the pinch wheel is being
driven by the capstan and therefore just along for the ride so to speak
I’m confused or what ?

Back