Phonic Helix 12 installation problems in win 7

Rich1968

Hello all,

I'm trying to install my Phonic Helix 12 board and am having issues getting to fire wire to recognize the board. I install the software exactly as instructed. When it gets to the end an asks to disconnect and reconnect the cable it gets an error says it can't find the device.

I'm totally frustrated, No help from Phonic. Can ANYONE point me in the right direction? I've tried changing to a Legacy fire wire controller no Joy, I've tried the Texas instruments fire wire controller, No Joy.

I have installed this on my Vista laptop. Works fine.

Thanks in advance
Rich DeGray

When I experience something like that, the usual recourse is to uninstall completely, even to a system restore to a time before installation if you can, then start afresh.

I found this snippet in a Sound on SOund review of the Phonics:

"Installation is fairly easy if the steps in the manual are followed, although the procedure differed slightly during my setup. If all goes to plan, though, clicking on the setup.exe file gets things under way, and then at some point it is necessary to plug in the Firewire cable to enable the computer to recognise the device."

Maybe leave firewire cable unplugged until the end?

For sure, it's the firewire card or the driver. I used to have the Phonic Helix 12 running in Win7. I can't remember which firewire card I had, but I'm pretty sure it had Texas Instr chipsets.

You can try disabling a few things in the BIOS that might be interfering.
Enter the BIOS.
Look for the power management and turn off anything to do with Power Save.
Disable anything like Intel Speed Step, or Speed Enhancement.
If your BIOS has the C-States option, disable that.

Try all the available firewire drivers in Device Manager.
Find out what firewire chipset is in your laptop.
Maybe try an LSI firewire card.

I hate firewire. I feel your pain.

When I experience something like that, the usual recourse is to uninstall completely, even to a system restore to a time before installation if you can, then start afresh.

I found this snippet in a Sound on SOund review of the Phonics:

"Installation is fairly easy if the steps in the manual are followed, although the procedure differed slightly during my setup. If all goes to plan, though, clicking on the setup.exe file gets things under way, and then at some point it is necessary to plug in the Firewire cable to enable the computer to recognise the device."

Maybe leave firewire cable unplugged until the end?

Since you mentioned SoS G? There is a fairly recent thread there about FW problems with W10.

It would seem there is a 'fight' between FW device, MOBO (even down to version) chipset, FW chipset and OS (version again!) and drivers.

I have followed the fortunes of FussyWire and audio (from a distance!) for over a decade and it it is apparent that if/when it works it works bloody well but if there is a problem it can be a monumental PITA!

Dave.

I'm aware of the tendency for W10 to result in firewire and other audio problems. In this case the OP is relatively safe, since he's installing on W7.

I'm aware of the tendency for W10 to result in firewire and other audio problems. In this case the OP is relatively safe, since he's installing on W7.

Yes. But the history of FWire has not been a good one regardless of the curves Ms send us! I understand it worked better on macs?

Dave.

Firewire was designed by Apple and later integrated into the Windows platform. Square peg, round hole.

In my day job, I work with high end firewire cameras. The BIOS edits I mentioned above are what it takes to get firewire to work with Win10. I know the OP has Win7, but I was hoping the edits might help.

Did I say I hate FW? I really do. Yet, my UAD Apollo is firewire and I have not had one tiny little problem with it, once I got the right card. (Well, of course now I just went and screwed myself.)

Back