Phone Coupler?

tinman

I'm new at recording but I'm learning in order to create recruiting messages in connection with my network marketing business.

In network marketing we use voice mail extensively with recorded messages on them to give prospects an overview of our business.

I'd like to put some of those messages online on my web site so people can listen to them online rather than on the phone. Using the phone someone has to pay for a long distance call. Either the prospect or me (if I use an 800 number).

Here is what I want to do. Simply put, I want to record a message off my phone into my computer. I have downloaded Internet Audio Mix (which I've been playing with...it has great reviews by the way). How can I get the recording I hear on the phone into a file on my computer so I can edit it the way I want it?

Obviously, I'll be using the line input on my sound card. If I simply use a splitter on my phone line, run one of the phone lines into a 1/8" phono jack (which color wires?)and plug it into my input on my sound card will it work?

If not....how can I do what I want to do?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

tinman

That software sez you can record from line in, correct? Do you HAVE to use the already recorded message (that is, does it have special effects or sounds on it) or could you just plug a mic into the sound card (or go thru a mixer into the line in on the card)and let the Internet Audio Mix software record you reading the message?...just a thought.....gibs

Thanks Gib for your speedy reply.

The messages I'll be recording over the phone are pre-recorded messages. I won't be recording anything myself except to introduce the main messages. And maybe add a little intro music, etc.

Well, also if your pre-recorded stuff is on a cassette type machine, pop the cassette into a regular cassete player and use the line out from that to your line in on comp....or if there are line outs on a digital machine...I suppose you could do the same....Now, if the pre-recorded message you want to put into your comp is coming from another phone, you could get one of those telephone mics that clip onto your phone like spies and private detectives use...lol..but the sound quality will not be very sweet at all..and run that little mic's line into your comp...radio shack might still have those things...they were pretty cheap, and as I said, the sound quality is not very good...another solution is have the main office make you a cassette of the pre-recordings that you can then use to record into your unit....good luck......gibs

Try to get to the source of the original recording, if possible. If folks are already dialing in to hear the phone message, then you must have some unit at your work that plays that message. My guess is that this unit will probably have some kind of line out. If that's the case, then use that feed to get it into your computer rather than trying to figure out how to get better quality from the telephone receiver.
That all depends heavily on the playback device for your voice mail, though. If it's a true voicemail box, then probably no luck on the line out. But, I've worked with music-on-hold boxes that have multiple outs for that purpose.
Anyway, good luck.

Back