phantom power and DI

I noticed I had been using the DI for guitar on my interface with 48v active. I turned it off since I dont use mics anymore
and the guitar seems to sound cleaner. any comments..??

Hi,
The 48V is available at pins 2+3 of the XLR socket and is there to power microphones.
Equipment connected via 1/4 plug wouldn't be exposed to it so there's no reason there should be any audible difference when toggling phantom power.

I'd be surprised if it makes a difference, but I suppose it's possible. Can I assume it's a passive DI, or is it an active one that is running on a battery when there's no phantom power?

It sounds better because you want to think it sounds better: psycho-acoustics.

The phantom power does absolutely nothing to the DI. It is not connected in any manner. Even if you had a mic plugged into the XLR and using the +48vdc, it wouldn't affect the DI.

It shouldn't make a difference if your interface is designed properly - but phantom power appearing on line inputs isn't unknown so it might be worth testing your interface DI input with a meter to see if there are any volts on there with phantom power switched on.

I've used a box or two (and more than a couple mics) that would exhibit a certain amount of noise with phantom engaged. Easy enough to figure out - Turn on phantom and see if there's noise.

Back