Pesky Neighbors...

Pghpunkid

Hello Everyone,

New to the Home Recording forums hoping to find some help to solve an issue regarding a local band and some annoying neighbors.

A few friends of mine and myself are starting a band and the room we play in was a carport originally. He added some thin interior walls when he moved in to make it an extra room, similar to an arizona room. The room has a sliding glass arcadia door that over looks a golf course out back, and a small window in the front.

As for the problem, Neighbors calling the cops on us every time we play with a full setup, at any hour, 12 noon or 6 pm. We used some carpet padding and insulated the closest part of the room however they are still calling. We are fed up with this annoying neighbor constantly reporting us for shenanigans.

Another note to add, we dont have a lot of money. Ive read about some methods using Sound stop sheetrock and that seems pricey and overkill for a small time cover band.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced.
Patrick

Carpet padding? :eek:

Sound-proofing typically is nothing short of reconstruction. Sheetrock - LAYERS of sheetrock - is a bare minimum. Dense insulation - Those sorts of things. And that's just for a mixing room. Walls inside walls, concrete, floating floors, etc. for live drums and such.

It doesn't matter if you're a small time cover band or Metallica. More volume = more energy. More energy = more mass to absorb that energy. Not enough mass = angry neighbors and noise citations.

In truth it's you who are the pesky neighbours, not the people next door, because they should expect to live without having to contend with the noise emanating from your old carport.

You are wise to consider some form of soundproofing. However, I fear that without a major construction effort, your gains will not be much. You may be a "small time garage band", but your problems are not small time. Unless you have a wealthy benefactor who is prepared to underwrite the cost of sound-proofing you may need to consider alternatives . . . hiring a hall or practice rooms somewhere else. Or maybe one of the other band members has a spot that is not so acoustically sensitive.

Seriously, you should find another place to practice. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it'll cost a lot of money to isolate it properly and stop the neighbors' complaints. If you decide you want to try to isolate, use lots of drywall and seal the room airtight. Look through the Studio Build forum, there's lots of discussions on sound isolation.

If you're near a city, look for rehearsal studios. You can rent a room a few hours a week pretty cheap. These are usually converted warehouses with rooms isolated from each other, a little PA in each room and maybe even a recording studio on premises.

Don't continue to piss off the neighbors, it'll never get better.

Oh, btw, carpets are useless.

Think about playing with headphones and Pods with electronic drums; you cannot soundproof for cheap.

And remember that YOUR rights stop when YOU start bothering other people.

Well first you should find out what the noise bylaws are were you live ... were I live I can make as much noise as I want from 7am to 11pm , sure the neighbours can still complain and call the cops but you won"t get evicted for it or have to pay fines.....

If there is a time in your bylaws were you are allowed to make noise then point that out to your neighbours , show it to them and then they might think twice about complaining as they will feel it is futile .....

If that fails then more soundproofing is worth a try ...

My jam space is simular you yours.. ours is a Garage with a flimsy wooden garage door , what we have which isn"t the best but works is a bunch of matresses piled allround all of the walls with carpet covering them , it cut down the noise by about 75% ... neighbours don"t complain anymore not like it did them anygood anyways .....

Good luck

I appreciate all the input.

We have spoken to the cops when they do show up and tell them that we arent really exceeding the 'sound pollution' laws locally, however there is another law that states its disturbing the peace.

As far as Soundproofing goes, I was afraid it would be expensive and im sure its not what the other members would like to hear. As far as our immediate neighbor, its not a problem, its a guy that lives like across the street, and down like 10 houses. He has a soundbooth and complains anonymously, hoping it will get our business to use his booth.

As far as a new jam spot, 2 of the 4 live at that house, mine is in the same city and have been called to about 4 times for noise complaints by my dads band, and doesnt seem like a worthy spot. The other one, lives in an apartment.

A Jam spot would be awesome, but if we are gonna do that, we could just get a public event permit for 25$ and jam in the park across the street w.o a issue legally i believe.

I might suggest a notice for people who live around the area who have an issue with the loud music for band practice, to meet and discuss a time we can play or something of that sort..

Thanks again..
Patrick.

I might suggest a notice for people who live around the area who have an issue with the loud music for band practice, to meet and discuss a time we can play or something of that sort.

This is a concilliatory approach that might just work. If nothing else, your neighbours should appreciate the effort that you are making to take their needs into consideration.

Nevertheless . . . getting a whole bunch of people to agree on a time might be tricky. Any shiftworkers in that lot, for example?

I was going to suggest meeting with your complaining neighbors, and finding a time that is okay with them, too- but i's already been suggested.

But have you considered NOT MAKING SO MUCH NOISE?? Smaller amps, recording rings or more on the drums, etc. Or just moving to a different room of the same house?

Back