People Helping People......wanna join haha

scottii15

Hey people Ive been trying to find answers about this recording shit because I am strictly an artist and I dont Know a damn thing about audio engineering and what not but if you could respond to this you may help me change the world-thx

Aite i have an audio technica at2020(usb) and a macbook
Right now all i have been doing is downloading instrumentals and dragging them onto garage band
from there I hook up my mic and record on garageband
the quality is less than average and I know there is probably a few simple things that could improve the quality
I was thinking about buying one of SE Electronics home studio reflcetion filters but its quite pricey and Im not sure how effective it is
Also Im not sure about these mic pre-amps and if i need one for my microphone

Any advice will be helpful even if its acouple lines
Thanks Guys and Girls

USB mics are what they are. They are great to get an idea down quick but most of them are sub par quality for anything more. Mic Pre's are for more professional (for lack of a better word) mics and will do nothing for a USB mic being that they are self contained units. I would start by looking into interfaces. Interfaces have mic pre's built in so at this early stage you need not worry about a pre. As for mic choice, look around. The market is flooded with all different forms and fashions. Anything from bargain basement to cream of the crop can be found. You will usually find many choices for a particular price point. Just take inventory on what it is you want to accomplish and research the gear you'll need accordingly. This stuff takes time and it ain't easy. If it was easy it would probably suck.

Figure out a budget, figure out what instruments you plan on recording - then you can narrow down what you need.

If you are strictly recording vocals over pre-recorded tracks or midi files then you wont need much of an interface - you can get an inexpensive one with a preamp and phantom powe and get a decent mic. I have never personally used a USB mic - but hell you might be able to get something half way decent out of it - through the track in your DAW add some compression and EQ a little, maybe a pinch of reverb... I think Adobe has a free version of Audition too (maybe not anymore, think I read about it in an old Wired magazine)

Reaper has a free trial

Does garageband use VST plugins? A great bargin priced DAW is Reaper

Back