Panning Advice Please :)

ElegyOfficial

Hello!<br>
Well here's my problem, first let me tell you that i am a screamo / hardcore / metalcore band. Where should i pan everything? like bass right, guitar left, vocals middle? or do i duplicate the vocal track and make one all the way left and one all the way right? I dont know. Also i hear that if you did two guitar tracks it sounds fuller, well were would i pan both of those? :).<p>
Thank you for your time!
-Nate

quick answer:

drums, bass and vocals down the middle, guitars on either side.

copying the vocal track isn't going to do anything for you.

doubling the guitar track (not copying, but playing again) will.

try this, and experiment.

quick answer:

drums, bass and vocals down the middle, guitars on either side.

copying the vocal track isn't going to do anything for you.

doubling the guitar track (not copying, but playing again) will.

try this, and experiment.

Haha good enough man, i appreciate your quick response / advice :)

Doubling tracks.

If you double a track, delay the second track just a few milliseconds (add/edit insert silence before the audio starts), then pan one track left, one track right to sound like two vocals or instruments.

If you double a track, delay the second track just a few milliseconds (add/edit insert silence before the audio starts), then pan one track left, one track right to sound like two vocals or instruments.
i would go with gecko zzed's answer to play your parts twice. just copying them and then moving creates awful brickwall effect.

i would go with gecko zzed's answer to play your parts twice. just copying them and then moving creates awful brickwall effect.

Yeah i know haha :)
Ive been doing that for a year, and totally regret it because now i have to re-record my songs all over.

nah just play everything once. You can use a 'doubler' kind of very slight delay if you really need to on vocals, but a guitar part recorded in stereo, and the bass and vocals straight in the middle usually sounds nice. I am not a 'screamo' or 'death metal' listener so I don't really know the specifics of the genre... but in general I just think the clearest sound of 'what it actually sounds like' is good for heavy guitar-based music. Playing tricks with delay makes your tracks sound kind of brittle. I've heard some recordings of drums where they pan way too far left or right with each drum mic... so it's like one tom is on the other side of the room than the other tom. I think that's kind of dumb. Pan 'em like you hear them if you were standing front and center in front of the band playing live... The guitar out to both sides makes it sound like its in a room, the bass center makes it sound like you have the subwoofers by your feet, the drums just a little spread makes em sound like they're drums.

Back