To paint or not to paint?

markwatrous

Hey all,

I'm in the planning stages of converting my basement into a sort of modular home-studio. The space currently has unfinished stone walls which I am considering painting. My big question is how will the paint affect the sound of the room? Can anyone provide a compelling reason to leave the stone unfinished?

Thanks!
-Mark

It will probably make essentially no difference. Perhaps the bare stone would have more diffusion at ultrasonic frequencies.

My big question is how will the paint affect the sound of the room?

While I do agree with BSG ^^^ from a technical, acoustics perspective...
...painting/decorating in a way that pleases you, can have a mental effect, which in turn can affect how things end up sounding in that room.

I see a lot of guys over-focus on the technical acoustics treatments...and often end up with rather sterile looking spaces, sometimes more akin to a padded room or acoustic panel storage sapce... ;) ...than a recording studio.
I find that making the space comfortable and very appealing to you (and others)...works more toward positive results than say, another acoustic panel here-n-there.
Make the space very inviting...so that you go in there and feel like you could stay there all day and night. Find the right colors that appeal to you or whatever other aesthetic appointments you want to add that make the place feel like a music sanctuary to you. :)

I find that when I walk into a studio space, no matter how big or small, or home vs pro facility...if I let out that small "ahhh" (even if only mentally)...I know the place is where I want to be. Heck...there are some pro facilities that leave me rather cold and uninterested to work there, like many of the uber-modern ones, all in some gray/white colors with lots of hard lines, etc.
So it's not just about having a million dollar studio. You can get that "ahh" effect even in your converted basement.

:)

I find that when I walk into a studio space, no matter how big or small, or home vs pro facility...if I let out that small "ahhh" (even if only mentally)...I know the place is where I want to be. Heck...there are some pro facilities that leave me rather cold and uninterested to work there, like many of the uber-modern ones, all in some gray/white colors with lots of hard lines, etc.
So it's not just about having a million dollar studio. You can get that "ahh" effect even in your converted basement.

And don't forget the keystone.. Ahhhh... ;)

lava.jpg

Back