Opinions needed soon for Focusrite Scarlet vs Akai EIE (not pro)

canonball17

My name is brian smith and I am the one man band Built For Slow. I was recording one track at a time, but now since I've switched to foot drums, I need a little more. The two budget options I'm looking at are the Focusrite Scarlet and the Akai EIE (not pro due to the cash). If I was going to do this without a mixer, I would record 3 drum tracks and a guitar track at the same time (with the Akai) and then put in vocals last. If I use the scarlet, I need to premix the drums and run them in (two channels vs 4). The scarlet can record at 24/96 but the Akai is only 16/44.1
They are both the same price (150 bucks). What do you think?

Definately go with Focusrite (you didn't mention which Scarlett you are talking about - there are many versions with different count of channels). Although EIE looks interesting it has really poor reviews, so I'd avoid it.

Thanks! I was talking about the scarlet 2x2. I'll see what any others weigh in with. I'm in Addis Ababa right now and I have a friend going back to the states for xmas and she's willing to bring back a recording gadget for me.

Thanks! I was talking about the scarlet 2x2. I'll see what any others weigh in with. I'm in Addis Ababa right now and I have a friend going back to the states for xmas and she's willing to bring back a recording gadget for me.

Ponder a little longer and read the stickies (and everything else you can) Most importantly look at MIDI, you might need it very soon.

I agree, not the EIE, not even the pro on present evidence but do investigate the Steinberg UR22. About the same money but has MIDI and I have never read a bad word about it. I have read quite a few about the Focusrites,OK! Most of that is nooby finger trouble I am sure, but there you go?
Oh! And you get Cubase.
Dave.

Back