Opera Singer Recording Setup

Muad_Dib

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and have a simple recording question that I am hoping one or more of you may be able to provide direction on. If I am posting in the wrong place, or if my questions have been addressed in detail elsewhere, please feel free to redirect me accordingly.

I am currently training as an opera singer, and am halfway through my Master's degree. I am trying to establish a recording setup for basic demonstrations; i.e making recordings for applications and things like that. I do not need to be able to create professional level recordings on my own; in the event that this is necessary, professionals are usually hired by those sponsoring the performance. For my needs, slightly amateurish will do.

I am presently using a Zoom H4N voice recorder, and I am pretty happy with it. The sound is of course nowhere near a professional recording, but it suits my purposes fairly well. My only complaint is that it does not seem to capture high-end very well. I have attached a sample recording to show you what I mean; the audio is unedited, and is just from the built-in microphones.

I do have the option of adding microphones to it however, instead of just using the ones that are built in, so I was thinking of arranging a set up that might get a slightly better sound. I own two large diaphragm condenser microphones, as well as pencil-type condenser, plus an abundance of others (Sm57, 58, things like that). I don't know the brands of the condensers, but they were all cheap, less than $200 each.

I was wondering what the best possible setup might be, given the circumstances. I am willing to buy some more microphones, (perhaps a condenser pair?), but I would not know how best to arrange them, i.e. what mics should go where, etc.

Here are some more details:

I will be primarily recording myself, and again, this is for demo purposes, and for my own reference. I may be recording friends on occasion, but I'm not too worried about them and their specifics.

The voice is a baritone, sizable but not Wagnerian.

Usually accompanied by a piano, usually in a large space with good acoustics.

I am essentially a novice when it comes to recording, so please be detailed.

Any feedback anyone could give me would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Muad_Dib

Hey, thanks for the compliment.

I will definitely check those articles out; a lot of useful information here.

I appreciate it,

P.

Back