only receiving signal in left chanel

mixedupmama

Hi, question: When I hit record in my sony acid music studio program the monitor only shows that it is picking up the sound in the left chanel. When I use the little computor mic the program pic up the sound in both chanels.I am plugging in my guitar in the "in line". I have a new computor and it has Intel Audio HD program on it. That also only picks up one chanel from the guitar. I am using win xp. Sony acid music studio. any suggestions? : :confused:

I'm not an expert but I'll give it a shot and someone can correct me later.... but I think it's a problem with your sound card? what kind of card do you have?

This is just a guess but, does your comp mic have 1 or 2 black lines on the tip.

Your guitar signal is mono, and therefore only going to one side of the stereo track. Your computer mic is mono also, but as phaqu was alluding to, most likely splits the signal and sends it to both channels, although it's still a mono recording.

sorry, I just saw that you accidentally double-posted. Here's my reply to your other post:

This question comes up about twice a week on this forum. Maybe you should try using the search function.

To solve your problem:
Your guitar provides a mono signal, on one channel (the left one in your case). Set your software to record the left input into a mono track and you'll be fine.

good luck

Back