Now I'm not one to commonly use 'webtalk', but...

Sifunkle

...can I just say, OMFG!! :eek:

I finally bought some monitors today (KRK Rokit 6's) and I swear they should sort some deal out with the medical fraternity to market them as a cure for deafness. I suddenly realise I've never been able to hear a thing until now.

I can sense a drastic shift in the quality of my music in the air. And I cannot believe this feeling of 'Wait, I played that? And it sounds that good!?'.

I can finally hear just how terrible I always suspected my mixes were (done through tinny laptop speakers; never again). But that's not so bad, because I can also finally hear just how well I'd actually recorded the stuff in the first place!

And with this aural epiphany, I just wanna thank every one of you who has helped me with all the little things that have made my music sound this good! I love you guys :)

Hope I didn't waste your time with this, but I thought you might like to share in my jubilation :D so hopefully you get a vicarious high from it!

Si

Welcome to the world of High Fidelity, my son. Yes, it is thrilling to see someone stoked about the pure visceral pleasure of listening to a clean sound system. :D

:mad: I want some good monitors SOO BAD!!! like, really good $2k monitors.

then, maybe I could mix something that doesn't suck

I'm always going to keep my laptop-monitored mixes as a gold-standard reference for suck, to cheer myself up on rainy days. I know the KRKs are not top-of-the-line, but I think my mixes from this point are gonna part ways with sucking. At least until I hear them through some top-of-the-line gear :)

Chili - unless by some miracle I wind up in a professional studio or make some swanky friends, I think it'll be a while til I hear a treated room, unfortunately :( I'm going to be moving between houses for the next several years, so treating a room won't really be an option. It's my new holy grail :)

These monitors have made me the happiest I've been in a long time though :D 'Visceral pleasure of high fidelity' was bang on, diggy_dude! I finally understand all this stuff I've read and been told and had never been able to hear for myself!

...And the cherry on the cake is that someone's even repped me 2 points for something: I had no idea I'd ever said anything of value!

Hey Mr Funkle, I understand the constant moving thing. Fortunately for us nomads, room treatment doesn't have to be expensive nor permanently mounted. A little research and some DIY sensability and you can come up with a great treatment system that you can move from house to house.

As for the rep, you would see a comment in your control panel when someone gives you rep. Here's some for ya....

Being able to properly hear your mixes must be like being healed of blindness and seeing your woman and kids for the first time !
I'm in the process of remixing stuff that had taken me 4 years to do, using my stereo speakers. When I got monitors, the newer stuff I was working on sounded OK and the more I worked on the digital stuff, the more curious I became about the old analog stuff so I listened to it with a very critical ear and decided much of it was too muddy and had to be redone. Sometimes, experimentation can have it's drawbacks ! Listening to stuff, I'm not sure I'd say it was blindingly better, but monitors certainly have enabled me to hear a little clearer. It's an eye opener, struggling to hear the bass drum amidst all the wash on the monitors and thinking an 8 track cassette portastudio is shitty then hearing what I've mixed on a stereo and having that thump suddenly whamming through. One has to get used to predicting how things will translate and mix accordingly.
I think some fun times lie ahead for you !

Being able to properly hear your mixes must be like being healed of blindness and seeing your woman and kids for the first time !

That's exactly what it was like :D, except without the surprise heart attack from realising I had a woman and kids ;)

There is such a drastic difference in what I'm hearing, it's made it so blindingly obvious what the deficiencies in my mixing and recording are, when I would have had no idea previously. Probably the main thing is how high I always put the level of the bass guitar :) which was kinda intentional because I'm best at bass and love to feature it, but even so: probably a bit too much.

I've also noticed that some (not all, surprisingly :)) of my mixes are definitely muddy in the 250 - 800 Hz sort of range. I had no idea, and I'd been trying to make plenty of EQ cuts there based on what I'd read, but it looks like I've got more work ahead of me! And the last obvious thing is that I clearly wasn't hearing the presence of 'high end shimmer' (anything above 12 kHz or so, I reckon) through my old speakers, because everything sounds so flat and lifeless.

But having said all of that, it still sounds awesome and now I know exactly what to do to make it better!! Glad you can share in this; have a smile at the nostalgia for me :)

Oh, and I will definitely look into the portable room treatment, thanks for the tip! Still might be another half a year though; I think if I even put a poster on the wall in my current room, I'll have about 10% less room to move. But I'll be moving next semester to a semi-rural area, where I expect I'll have a nicer house. Sounds like it might be a project for summer holidays and a housewarming gift to myself!

Back