not sure about basic setup equipment

liamo

basicaly i'm looking to set up a home studio using my pc, i guess it would help you if i gave ye a few details to work with-
1) i'll be using athlonxp1900/512mb ddr/60gbmaxtor7200rpm.with cd burner.(ihave mics and tube preamps and headphones)
2)budget is about 800$so i guess we're talking basic!
3)what i want to do is this- i want to recreate my old analogue method of recording using my pc, this islike to work with up to 4 tracks at any given time so say i record a drum track i'd use 4 mics balance it and then bounce it to one track then go on and layer guitar bass and vocals etc. basicaly i'm not sure of the basic major hardware i need- is it just soundcard and mixer? before you chastise me for not researching it myself i have a bit but am finding it a bit overwhelming i'm just looking for some laymans help to guide me through the transition from my old 4 track fostex!! if anyone knows of some good beginners links i'd really appreciate it.
cheers
liamo

If you have mics and pres already, look into a soundcard with 4 to 8 inputs and with the computer you already have, you won't have to do any track bouncing. At $800, there's a shit load of options.

for $800 you should be able to get a decent 4 input soundcard(look at delta 44 by m-audio, about $250, good card).....a good software multitracking program that you won't have to bounce tracks on (i think cakewalk's guitar studio pro has 32 virtual tracks for mixing and is like $150 or less)....you also need some mic pres for a lot of cards......that being said, in the latest home recording magazine there was a review on a card that was about $475 that had 4 inputs with 4 built in pres......don't remember the name, you might want to look at that mag.......

Back