Noob Questions About AD/DA Converters

cyberdaniel82

In the process of shopping around for a new audio interface, I've zeroed in on the RME line, and probably some iteration of the UFX (2 or +). Purportedly, the UFX interfaces have good converters, both AD and DA. Here are my points of confusion:

1. I've seen a lot of recommendations which suggest pairing the RME Fireface UFX+ (or similar) with an RME ADI-2 Pro FS (or similar). I'm surely missing something, but isn't this redundant? What's the benefit? The ADI-2 units are just standalone converters... are they substantially better than those found in the UFX+?

2. If the converters are substantially better in the ADI-2 Pro FS, and a person intends to use them as standalone converters... and already uses standalone preamps... why would anyone spend a lot on an interface like the Fireface UFX+? With the Fireface UFX+ in such a configuration, wouldn't you just be bypassing some of the most important (and expensive) components of the interface (preamps and converters)? Shouldn't you just buy a cheap interface instead, since you're basically using it as a glorified connector?

3. Stupid question alert: Why do some standalone converter boxes feature more than one AD converter and/or more than one DA converter? If a person is recording a drum kit with 6 mics and 6 pres, they don't need 6 converters, right? As far as I know, my current setup uses one of each.

4. Are DA converters more important than AD? I've seen a lot of "just" DA converter boxes.

Thanks!

1. I've seen a lot of recommendations which suggest pairing the RME Fireface UFX+ (or similar) with an RME ADI-2 Pro FS (or similar). I'm surely missing something, but isn't this redundant? What's the benefit? The ADI-2 units are just standalone converters... are they substantially better than those found in the UFX+?

The ADI-2 have a slightly better performance on paper than the convertors in the UFX but you'll need top class monitoring and well trained ears to be in with any chance of hearing the difference. Of course, adding the ADI-2 gives you two more recording channels.

2. If the converters are substantially better in the ADI-2 Pro FS, and a person intends to use them as standalone converters... and already uses standalone preamps... why would anyone spend a lot on an interface like the Fireface UFX+? With the Fireface UFX+ in such a configuration, wouldn't you just be bypassing some of the most important (and expensive) components of the interface (preamps and converters)? Shouldn't you just buy a cheap interface instead, since you're basically using it as a glorified connector?

My personal approach is to use an audio interface with only digital connections - something like an RME Digiface USB. That way I can change the convertors whenever I like without having to change the audio interface. However, that involves a little bit of extra cabling so some people like to have everything in one box.

3. Stupid question alert: Why do some standalone converter boxes feature more than one AD converter and/or more than one DA converter? If a person is recording a drum kit with 6 mics and 6 pres, they don't need 6 converters, right? As far as I know, my current setup uses one of each.
Yes, you need a convertor channel for each input and output. Many convertor chips include 2 channels of conversion and some will incorporate more channels on a single chip but you'll still effectively be dealing with one convertor channel for each analogue connection. For drums I'd recommend using one of the 8 channel preamp/convertor boxes from someone like Audient as they sound good and don't overload as easily as some of the alternatives. RME are good too but more expensive.

4. Are DA converters more important than AD? I've seen a lot of "just" DA converter boxes.

There's a bigger market for D/A convertors as anyone listening to digital audio will need one and separate D/A convertors are popular in the Hifi world. Hifi enthusiasts tend to be attracted to studio gear but they have some strange ideas about what makes a good convertor sometimes.

There is another reason for duplicating converters, it reduced noise. Doubling up converters gives a theoretical 3dB improvement but not quite that in practice.

The same technique is used in analogue circuitry. The noise level of a standard balanced line input needs to use 8 high grade op amp sections to (just) better the noise of the same op amp used unbalanced.

Butty-but-but..SINCE we are talking baseline, bog strandard noise levels at -110dBu or so you are never going to tell unless you have some incredible low noise sources. Likely most active monitors will make more noise!

Dave.

Thank you both for clarifying my converter inquiries! I picked up an RME Fireface UFX+ and it seems to be a good solution for my needs.

Back