Noob Question from a not-so noob!

Markaholic

ok im not to good with figuring out time signatures,which brings me here.
I have this tune i wrote and im trying to program drums for it but i cannot seem to get it right.
If i tap my foot to it..it seems like 4/4 but it just doesn't feel right.
Anyone want to clue me in?
You can listen to a sample by CLICKING HERE

Thanks for any help any of you's can give me.

haha i can't decect any repeating pattern really...at first it sounded like 7/8 but then it's not quite. i cant figure out where the down beat is...

it's probably a combination of 7/8 and 3/4, i've heard songs that switch time signatures every other time, but i'm not sure exactly what it's called...

damn i wanna do some drums for this on DFHS when i get home that would be sweet. :D

on second thought, it sounds like it's mostly 4/4 but the downbeat is coming in at different times. this might not be to hard to do drums for. 6/8 maybe? i dunno i'm pretty stupid when it comes to time signatures, but after listening a few times i can start to hear the drum pattern in my head...

depends on how you're counting (what you're using as a 1/4 note)
But if you're counting the obvious beats then it's in 9/4. Or if you prefer 4/4 then 5/4 then 4/4 and 5/4 alternating.
I think personally I'd count it as alternating 4/4/ and 5/4 measures but it could just as easily be 9/4.

:D Yo Lt. Roberto:

Just a suggestion.

Find a drum beat that fits first. I'm guessing you are using a drum machine?

I use the Boss 880 and it has sooo many patches; it's an amazing little box.

I always like to do the drums/chords first; then, the rest of the tune. Once the meter is established, it makes finishing the song much easier.

Another method I like is to use a fade out for many tunes I do myself. I can't get my hands to the drum box for a staccato/sharp, BOOM ending very often--so, I use the fade-away. I can do 7 or 8 bars but only record the fade on the first 4 or 5. Whatever works.

Hope this helps.

Green Hornet
:D

I marked it out on paper and it looks like 2/4 3/4 2/4 2/4 to me. Repeated 3 times before the ending comes. Killer riff!

Edit: I thought about 5/4 4/4 but 5/4 tends to have a 3 + 2 feel with the 2 giving a truncated feel not a 2 + 3 feel where the last beat is an extra. Also to my ear the riff fits better into a 2/4 than two riffs in a 4/4. Just my opinion though. Whatever works for you. :)

hmmm...interesting replies..im gonna go mess with everyones suggestions now ..ill report with the news.......Captain Kirk out. :D

iqi616 said:
I Edit: I thought about 5/4 4/4 but 5/4 tends to have a 3 + 2 feel with the 2 giving a truncated feel not a 2 + 3 feel where the last beat is an extra. Also to my ear the riff fits better into a 2/4 than two riffs in a 4/4. Just my opinion though. Whatever works for you. :)
hmmmm .... I don't really agree with that personally. 5/4 is 5/4 .... it's not 2 then 3 or 3 then 2 unless you can't really count in 5. Breaking 5 into either of those is just a way of avoiding counting in 5. Also ..... there isn't any difference at all between using two 2/4 measures instead of one 4/4 measure .... they're exactly the same unless your riff fits perfectly into 2 counts which this doesn't. So while using multiple 2/4 measures certainly is technically as correct as a single 4/4 .... it just adds unnecessary complexity.
And, of course, since it's his song ...... he can choose anything he likes and it's correct 'cause it's his song. He could go for18/4 if he wished and no one could say it was wrong.
For me, I'd call it 9/4.

Well i gave it a go with 4/4 thru the whole song since nothing else seemed to work.
Ill let you guys be the judge to see if it works..drums are real rough but, you'll get the idea. CLICK HERE

And i appreciate all of your help in trying to figure this damn thing out.
Its nice to know it wasnt just me!

Back