Noob asks help!!!!!

Krissy, the speakers in this HP i3 laptop are JEEEUST loud enough to hear dialogue (I am a science dork) but my wife has a cheaper laptop and I cannot get it loud enough to be useful.

Do you have access to a domestic audio system of any sort? If so, burn your track to CD and try it on that or, many modern rigs can take audio on a stick, .wav for preff but 320kbs MP3 is pretty good.

The human voice is easily capable of 90-100dBSPL at several feet away you need a fair bit of power to reproduce that.

At an extreme push, many FS Tellies can play USB sticks!

Dave.

What ecc83 said--but in addition--your monitoring environment is not very good. It's bad, actually. That is as big a problem for you as gain staging right now. Maybe worse, because you're not getting any kind of idea of what's happening. A quick question: Are your headphones plugged into the computer?

Hi guys.
I made a sample of an Edith Piaf's, a french singer who I love.
Do you think it's well recorded? The low parts are too low?
I can't turn up the volume without the sound clipping at the high notes.
Let me know :) :) :) :) :) :) ::)

Attachments

• Sample 2.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
So who is singing "La Vie en Rose"...?...that doesn't sound like Edith Piaf.

Are you singing in that sound clip?
If that's you singing...when do you want to come over to my studio, I've got a bunch of tracks that your voice wold be perfect for? :)

It sounds real good....singing and audio wise.
Post the whole song...please.

If that's you singing...when do you want to come over to my studio, I've got a bunch of tracks that your voice wold be perfect for? :)

YAAAaaaaaa! Even on crap cans on a laptop that was stunning! Krissy, there is cash waiting here for your first pro CD!

Dave. (gonna send that clip to son in N. France)

Relevance? Like I said, how are you listening? That's a big deal. What kind of 'phones? You're listening on crap equipment. Of course you can't turn it up without distortion. It's funny--tens of millions of people listen to music today using absolute garbage earbuds. Much of the mp3's they're listening to are recorded at low sample rates in addition to this, which means they are doubling down on crap. I bought an ipod that of course came with earbuds, and the difference between those crappy things and my $120.00 Bose phones is remarkable, very noticeable. And those Bose phones are at the middle-low end of the cost spectrum! The thing is, if you want to make this music thing your thing, you're gonna need to spend the dough to get there. And that aint the half of it. You're climbing a mountain here, and your at the base with no equipment and next to no knowledge on how to start up to the peak. Go back--gain-staging--that is what you need to deal with. Get the absolute best phones/speakers you can afford, and then read up.

Relevance? Like I said, how are you listening? That's a big deal. What kind of 'phones? You're listening on crap equipment. Of course you can't turn it up without distortion. It's funny--tens of millions of people listen to music today using absolute garbage earbuds. Much of the mp3's they're listening to are recorded at low sample rates in addition to this, which means they are doubling down on crap. I bought an ipod that of course came with earbuds, and the difference between those crappy things and my $120.00 Bose phones is remarkable, very noticeable. And those Bose phones are at the middle-low end of the cost spectrum! The thing is, if you want to make this music thing your thing, you're gonna need to spend the dough to get there. And that aint the half of it. You're climbing a mountain here, and your at the base with no equipment and next to no knowledge on how to start up to the peak. Go back--gain-staging--that is what you need to deal with. Get the absolute best phones/speakers you can afford, and then read up.

+1 and an example: When I worked in an electronics assembly factory, there were about 5 or 6 crappy transistor radios running throughout a very long buiding, long and high so their 2W at best output did not go far and so they ran at horrendous distortion.
One song "Perfect Ten" was played several times and hour and sounded to me like a distorted jumble of drums and voice. It was not until by chance I heard the song on my home system (I do not follow the pop scene!) that I realized that it was in fact a very good song by The Beautiful South!

GOOD monitoring is everything!

Dave.

Thank you so much!!!!! *_* I'd love to come over your studio!
But I guess we're in different parts of the world :(

YAAAaaaaaa! Even on crap cans on a laptop that was stunning! Krissy, there is cash waiting here for your first pro CD!

Dave. (gonna send that clip to son in N. France)

Dave, maybe I finally I got something right,ahahah :laughings: Thank you very much!

Ok I admit that listening to the crappy speakers of my laptop may not be the best way to monitor a recording :laughings:
BUT I have good headphones.
The matter is: When I record and mix listening to the headphones , it sounds good, but then when I listen to the laptop...it's just awful.
So, who do I have to trust? Maybe none? Maybe I should get some speakers and attach them to my laptop?

"Maybe I should get some speakers and attach them to my laptop?"

Yes! Raised to several powers of ten! Bu! I thought you had an interface? A UR22? Your active speakers would be driven from that.

Dave.

Back