Noise trouble shooting help please

tcac30

Hi,

I'm helping my brother track down this noise issue he's getting on his cubase recordings. He's an old school analog producer, new to Cubase and computer recording. He's on Windows (yes he knows Mac would be better) with Focusrite Scarlett interface. I attached a mp3 (I hope) of the issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
TC

Attachments

• -Noise-.mp3
    575 KB · Views: 18
Not sure which "noise" you mean. I think I can hear a faint "click" behind the guitar but you will have to wait for better ears to audition the clip for you. In the meantime.
1)What does the noise sound like to you? and don't say "static" that is a catchall American terms and does not help (also an electrical tautology!)
2) How are you recording the guitar? If via the HZ input on the AI be aware that early samples of the 2i2 had very poor overload margins.
3) Have you looked into buffer setting? Then, Cubase is a pretty resource hungry DAW, see if lighter software performs better, e.g. Audacity or Reaper.

And four! DO NOT state blindly that "macs are better than Windows"! Not actually true and upsets a lot of people, especially me!

Oh! And welcome and good luck!

Dave.

I hear the crackling starting at 13 seconds in.

To me that sounds like a noise made by a plug-in.

To start eliminating possibilities, it would be useful to try recording the guitar with no effects on the track.

Have you confirmed that the noise is not present in the source signal?

thanks Dave, I'll pass this info on to my bro ....

haha, yes, the mac vs windows thing has perplexed me for years (I'm a photographer who has used both successfully).
He went to a couple of the stores where he bought his recording gear to ask their advice, and the less than helpful attitude was "oh windows? that's your problem"

Cheers
TC

thanks Dave, I'll pass this info on to my bro ....

haha, yes, the mac vs windows thing has perplexed me for years (I'm a photographer who has used both successfully).
He went to a couple of the stores where he bought his recording gear to ask their advice, and the less than helpful attitude was "oh windows? that's your problem"

Cheers
TC

OKTC Tell him not to shop there again. They are idiots.

Best of...

Dave.

Looks like plugin noise if not from guitar.
Check the guitar plugs and cable first.
If not, plugin noise. Sometimes it goes off after adjusting buffer size.

I posted about a similar problem and someone mentioned this post. Sorry if this is a little jumbled; I'm just starting to grasp the basics.

But, the noise in the mp3 you posted sounds like a less intense version of what I was working with. I resolved it by slightly increasing buffer size [higher buffer size = more latency, less noise concerns; lower buffer size = less latency, more noise concerns, apparently], and downloading ASIO4All so I could match the ASIO buffer size and the interface buffer size in the DAW.
Also, decreased the bit depth, but I haven't experimented yet to see how much of an effect that had.

Hope that's helpful.

I tend to agree with everything above - buffers emptying completely - so some jiggling needed to get it right. As for Mac v Windows? Pretty irrelevant now. I'm lucky enough to have both and with cubase can move machine to machine with the dongle, and with my Adobe CC subscription, I can work on both. My systems have different monitor arrangements and to be honest, I select the right one for the job - I don't really care if it's one OS or the other.

I use Mac and Windows, Windows mostly in the studio due to my software being windows compatible. I am sick of the Mac / Windows thing, usually comes from the smug Mac people that tell you Macs are better and Macs does not have any operational problems, however I have as many problems running macs as windows. The main problem with windows machines is that people load too much crap onto their computers, my studio machines only have recording software on them and are never connected to the net. Anyone that says one is better then the other is a dick, computers are just boxes with circuit boards, wires and drives, they don't know what brand they are.

Alan.

They've far from idiots. The just get a bigger mark up and/or commission on Mac!

Then I stand corrected Bobbs. They are greedy bastards!

BTW, Rob A: Re swapping dongles about? You can get a wee box off Zon that will switch any USB device between computers. I have tried one with a Cubase dongle and it worked fine. That was PC-PC mind but since USB protocol is "universal" I see no reason why one would not work on a mac?

Re the mac/PC debacle? I am not rabidly one or the other, I have just read reams of very acrimonious discussion on various forums in the last ten years and have come to the conclusion that NOW (maybe not way back) macs are just an expensive way to do much the same thing as a PC EXCEPT! Some stuff still won't run on macs. Of course there are hardwares and softwares peculiar to macs as well but these are very much the minority.

Blackstar have/had a MacBook Pro for the works studio so they must be pretty good! Never used one.

Dave.

Tim Cook says so...but then he's the CEO of Apple. Otherwise, most of us say that both can do the job fine and just go with what you budget can handle--and the system you know best.

Back