noise interference in new cables

ditnoj

Hello.

I just made two cables about 30 feet long. The cable is what was on the roll at the store (I live in Mexico, BTW) . The cable says that it is 2 X 24. The shielding is copper (colored, at least). THe connectors are Switchcraft that I took off some other old cables. The soldering points all seem decent but I am getting a fierce hum out of the sound system (this is a live sound question, BTW).

Is there some trick I don't know about the soldering or is the cable just bad? I've got red to 1, black to 2 and shield to 3 on both ends. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the help

D out ITNOJ

You've got it rotated by 1 pin: your shield is on the signal cold pin.

Proper wiring for XLRs is shield to pin 1, hot (red) to pin 2, cold (black) to pin 3. The reason it's this way is that on the female XLR connector, the contact for pin 1 is slghtly closer to the mating face, which insures that the shield/ground is the first to connect, and the last to disconnect. 2 and 3 are then left for the signal.

Easiest way to fix your current setup- swap red and shield on both ends (that'll have red and black reversed on both ends, but you don't really care- as long as 2 goes to 2 and 3 goes to 3). You aren't the first to get caught out by this, and you surely won't be the last...

Hope that helps.

THANKS

Man, I was 'bout ready to scream...I've got a choir concert Sunday (choir's debut), just got two brand spankin' new SM81's and I've been repairing cable like crazy 'cause the sound guy that got fired left about 6 cables with shorts in 'em. Really they were just soldering jobs that came undone. In addition, I´ve been recording and mixing the soundtracks for the choir tunes (I am a PROUD owner of a DPS16 and a Triton), the dance group just asked for the edited medely I recorded for them to be in a different order and include a different passage of a tune...And I'm headed out of town Sunday right after second service to do 4 days of teaching...

Needless to say, THANKS LOADS!!

D out ITNOJ

Back