No Playback through headphones

Ssbrega

Hello, I am brand new here and to recording.

I am using a Focusrite 2i2 with a condenser mic and Pro tools 12.
I just replaced my microphone because the first one I had was broken.
Now I can record properly but when i try to listen to it nothing comes through my headphones.

I am using iPhone earbuds(I know, I know) and they are plugged into the audio interface, I have also reset the I/O and still nothing.

Any help would be great thanks!

Just to check, plug the earbuds into your computer's headphone output. If you hear something, then you don't have the 2i2 set as the output device.

Another thing to check is the Direct Monitor switch on the 2i2 interface. In the "on" position you're listening to you mic directly--you need to be in off to hear playback.

Thanks for the replies! I tried both solutions and nothing worked. I notice that youtube videos play through my laptop, but then on pro tools I can actually hear faint noises through my headphones of the recording, but they are also very muffled.

Is it maybe something to do with my headphones?

Yeah, could be your headphones. Since the headphone output on the 2i2 is quarter inch, I assume you have some kind of adaptor. Since the iPhone earbuds have a mic built in, the 3.5mm jack has an extra ring for that and it's quite possible the spacing of the contacts in your adaptor could be hitting the wrong part of the iPhone connector.

Back