No Playback Sound@[Adobe Audition]

RyanRosario

So for over an hour now, I've been trying to figure out why I'm able to record on Adobe Audition, yet I'm unable to hear playback sound.

Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i4

Plugged in: Two Microphones

DAW: Adobe Audition

So what I'd do first is open up adobe audition to set up my focusrite 2i4 interface with it. I would go to preferences and Audio Hardware. Then I'd click ASIO and Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver. After that, I would open a multitrack and set up my tracks. First track, I'd set as Mono: Input 1. Second track, I'd set as Mono: Input 2. After then I arm both tracks and record at the same time. I'd see the audio waves as I record and it looks as if everything is going fine. Then I stop the recording and now want to hear myself.. I click play and as the line goes across my audio, no sound is coming out.

Please someone I'm desperate for help with someone who has experienced this before or anyone who knows a solution to this stressful problem.

UPDATE: So I got it working. But only when I'm not using ASIO. I'd have to use MME which is something else I guess. I don't know why, but I guess ASIO is too complex for me to figure out? Jk I'm just a huge noob at this haha. Kinda sucks though because everyone uses ASIO for their PCs so I assume that would be better? Oh well.

If anyone can still answer on how I can get ASIO to work, then that'd be amazing though because I'd much rather use that!

Well, a few things to check...

-See if you have the latest version of the Focusrite ASIO driver. They often sneak new ones up onto the download site without telling anyone.

-Check your routing for the output of each track--in the box at the left end of each track (in Multitrack view) it's the box by the left-facing arrow. It'll probably be set to "Master". If not, change it to be Master.

-Check the mixer in Audition and make sure the two tracks you've used (I assume 1 and 2) are faded up and panned L and R and that the Master Fader is also up. I've heard of the master fader sometimes defaulting to right down in some situations.

-Since you have a device with 4 outputs, check that the main L/R from the Master fader are going to 1 and 2 on the Scarlett outputs. You can do this on Edit/Preferences/Audio Channel Mapping. You might also need to involve the control screen for the Focusrite but I don't have one in front of me to check just now.

Hope one of these helps.

I have AA1.5 and an 8i6 which I could hook up and see what'appen if Bobb's advice does not work.
And BTW Bob....." They often sneak new ones up onto the download site without telling anyone."

That^ got me thinking! Whenever you buy a new bit of computer kit or software invariably the vendor wants you to "register". Sometimes this is even mandatory to get things unlocked. But what do they want us to register for? They say " private details will never be sold to third parties" Haw-haw!

However, having got our email address (but nothing else from me. I lie!) when was the last time any company contacted you unbidden about new drivers? Might try to SELL you stuff but never anything good or free!

Rant over. MUST have another cup o Joe!

Dave.

Couldn't agree more about gear manufacturers and drivers. "Load the most recent driver" is probably the most common bit of advice in user forums and very often works--but the only way you know there's a recent driver is to have a problem and go looking.

BTW, I should say that my advice was based on current versions of Audition (CS6 and CC both work the same way). The menu structure is very different for versions AA3 and before.

I've assumed (always dangerous I know) that the OP has a fairly current version of going to Preferences/Audio Hardware since the Audio Hardware menu isn't under Preferences in the earlier versions. Indeed, if you get REALLY early, I don't think there's even an Edit/Preferences menu but I don't have anything older installed to help my memory.

Bobbsy, I tried everything you said. The thing is, when I put the outputs on "Master", I get no playback sound.. but when I put the outputs on Mono - HD Audio Output 1 and Mono - HD Audio Output 2, it starts to work... BUT it has loud cracking noises with the playback in the background of the audio... I have no idea why all these troubles/obstacles are coming to me. Is ASIO really worth all this trouble? If you Bobbsy know a solution to this or anyone else, please let me know..

Well, only you know if ASIO is worth the trouble (except it shouldn't be trouble...on my system it just worked. However, the advantages you're looking for are basically bypassing Windows for your audio drivers. This gives a couple of advantages...first, much lower latency on your signals and, second, less risk of some other bit of software suddenly deciding to reset your 44.1 session to 48 (or whatever) without telling you.

Anyhow, it seems a bit weird that you get some audio (albeit wrong) when you feed the track directly to the interface but not via the mixer.

Do you have the ability to do screen grabs and post them? If so, it would be useful to see:

-Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware screen

-Edit Preferences/Audio Channel Mapping screen

-Audition mixer screen

-Windows Audio Manager Playback devices screen.

Thanks in advance.

sure man! I'll get you screen shots. I'm on my laptop right now out somewhere, but when I get back, I'll post them here.

For the benefit of somebody with the same problem in the future, (and me next time I try to help) what did you end up doing?

First i restarted my computer. Then I opened audition and put it to ASIO. I opened up this separate window and it gave me audio options. I forget what the window is called, but I remember it had a tool symbol on the bottom right of it. All I did was turn on some switches that weren't on, and on the tracks put the input as Focusrite USB Input 1 and Focusrite USB Input 2!

I haven't had a problem with it. The only thing I dislike is the fact that I'm unable to use any other sound besides on audition. It's weird because I'm able to with MME but not ASIO! haha. But yeah if you need me to be more specific about something, please let me know!

That's weird...maybe something to do with Focusrite.

FYI (not that it helps you) once I set either of my M Audio interfaces (one USB and one Firewire) to be the default it gets used by everything on my computer...Youtube, Skype, etc.

Yeah.. that's a struggle :/.. maybe was focusrite but idk. I'm still loving this preamp/audio interface. Great recommendation from this site when I was looking for one. Thanks for the help again man. You've helped me a lot with all my bunches of newb like questions. I appreciate it!

Back