Newbies, and starters, Gear, gear, gear.

onstrike

Hey guys and gals,

Another newbie here. I have been working on building my studio for the last 6 months or so. It is difficult building a studio, especially on such a small budget as I have to work with. Ebay has become my best friend, and my paypal account is screaming bloody murder.

When I learned recording (theory mostly) in college, I had a full large, equipped studio to work with. That was over 10 years ago though, and I know the equipment has changed a lot. But for comfort of use, I am outfitting my studio with the same kind of gear I learned with. For some idea of what I am looking at, I will tell you what I have.

Fostex 812 console
3 Alesis ADAT XTs (2 linked, 1 stand-by)
Alesis Quadroverb
Behrenger compressor
2 Samson 31i equilizers
BBE 362 Maximizer
computer with Sony Soundforge 7 (For mix-down)

Now I know it isn't much, looking at some of the other studios and reading about other's gear, I know it is nothing in comparison.

Is there any other "Need to have" gear that is good for folks on a budget? I mean, I see a million "Nice to have" pieces, but most of it is so out of my budget that I can't afford it.

I do decent recording, I think. And the recording I do for others, I try to keep very affordable, (about $10 - $20 per hour cheaper than the more popular small studios here in San Diego). I have delt with 5 different clients, making demos. The people I record for never have any complaints, but I always want to improve.

Can ya help me out? Let me know what I can do?

you dont mention mics...or pre's.or monitors...those are VERY important...although obviously you know this......a....a midi keyboard for use with your computer would give you a lot of added capabilities for a relatively small price....nor do you mention your soundcard....with JUST the equipment you have above you couldnt really record anything...what else do you have?

Back