Newbie Singer- Voice Hardware vs Plugin processors

Codeseven

Hey everyone.

I've been able to play guitar and drums to form a decent melody. Now I've composed a song to go with it and want to do the singing. However I've never sung anything other than in the shower and my singing has much to be desired. I've been following along to many Youtube 'how to sing' videos and I'm attempting to 'find my voice' but I would like to augment my voice with vocal processing. I'm using a MacBook Pro, Presonus Firepod, SM58, recording into Reaper and sometimes Garageband.

Seems as though many here use Digitech or TC Helicon hardware which I'm willing to try out but are those meant primarily for live performance? Are they also used for recording? If just recording should I be looking into Voice Processing software or plugins? Which would you recommend? Are there capable free versions? Thanks

You should be looking at getting the best, un-effected, vocal take you can - before you worry about plug-ins to "fix" things. To do this you need to understand a bit about microphones, a bit about rooms, a bit about vocal technique and then a bit about what you can do to work with what you have to fit it into the song.

I'd suggest you have a crack at it, post the results and get feedback on how to improve. Having a theoretical discussion about magic plugins at this stage isn't particularly helpful. Pitch correction plugs can be useful, and other "stock" effects can be useful, as can doubling, harmonising and various other vocal and recording techniques, but you need something to work with as a starter, is my advice.

You should be looking at getting the best, un-effected, vocal take you can - before you worry about plug-ins to "fix" things. To do this you need to understand a bit about microphones, a bit about rooms, a bit about vocal technique and then a bit about what you can do to work with what you have to fit it into the song.

I'd suggest you have a crack at it, post the results and get feedback on how to improve. Having a theoretical discussion about magic plugins at this stage isn't particularly helpful. Pitch correction plugs can be useful, and other "stock" effects can be useful, as can doubling, harmonising and various other vocal and recording techniques, but you need something to work with as a starter, is my advice.

That's good advice. Truth be told I really am trying to cut corners early on rather than learning how to actually sing, if I can even do so.

Hardware devices or plugins will only help if you are *close* to what you want already. Like Armi says, record yourself now, and ask for advice. Or hire a singer. :D

That's good advice. Truth be told I really am trying to cut corners early on rather than learning how to actually sing, if I can even do so.

You can learn. If you don't have some weird medical condition, that is.
When you cut corners, it will sound like you cut corners.

Record yourself, listen critically, make corrections.

Singing with conviction and emotion is an act, so you have to be a bit of an actor. I don't feel any kind of emotional connection with the songs I sing, even if I write them. So, I act like I care about the song and put the feelings in of the person in the story of the song. I try to go over-dramatic with my singing and that ends up being about right. :) Which is probably why I don't want anyone to see me sing. ha ha

Thanks guys.

Also, I was just thinking, what I want to be able to do one day (once I learn how to sing) is to play live using my guitar and something like a stomp box harmonizer I guess. But all I have now for anything live is my guitar and a Fender Mustang III so I'd still have to buy the harmonizer and a PA anyway :)

Thanks guys.

Also, I was just thinking, what I want to be able to do one day (once I learn how to sing) is to play live using my guitar and something like a stomp box harmonizer I guess. But all I have now for anything live is my guitar and a Fender Mustang III so I'd still have to buy the harmonizer and a PA anyway :)

Note that the harmonizers (like the Helicon) that use your guitar input to determine key really depend on the singer singing the correct notes. For example if you play a C major chord and are asking the harmonizer for a third (E) and fifth (G) note when you sing a C, and you sing a Bb - or somewhere halfway between a Bb and a C, it won't sound good.

Yup.... I'll track harmonies with someone helping to drive the machinery sometimes, but not lead. Alone. Always.

I wouldn't have guessed that being someone who gigs. I figured you'd be comfortable singing in front of others.

Back