Newbie Questions...Imac users

bushmill

So, we bought a new computer and I get to have the old one for recording (Imac G3 500mhz...OS 10) and I am looking to start from ground zero. I have no idea where to begin but the Mbox looks kind of cool and it comes with ProTools...Any advice, thoughts, guidance?? I am basically looking to make good quality demos/recordings for friends, etc...Guitar, bass, drums, vocals, some effects, maybe some keys...I am thinking 12-16 tracks would be more than enough....Advice appreciated!
Cheers!

Is what I am asking even possible or am I stuck with a paperweight? Again, I am not looking to do anything beyond demo type stuff...Ya know, getting some ideas down and then transferring for mixes, etc...Somebody around here has to have some kind of idea on if this computer wil work, right? :confused:

My first recording system (under Mac OS 9) was a 250 MHz PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet). A 500 MHz G3 machine should be fairly usable as long as you have a decent amount of RAM and aren't using a whole lot of plug-in effects (or bus them wisely).

also, a fast hd, external/firewire if supported would help, 7200rpm. i dont know, im using an ibook g4 1.42 with 1.5g of ram, and i was limited on processing power in pro tools..
i just bought a used imac g5 2ghz, so we'll see if its the computer, or if im just a dumbass.

Back