Newbie looking for help

pipedream

I just purchased a new PC (PIII 450, 64 Meg RAM, no sound card yet) and I was hoping to start doing some multi-track recording. I was wondering what hardware and/or software I would need to get started.

I've been using an old Fostex 4-track for the last couple of years and it has served my needs fairly well. All I'm looking for are a few more tracks to play with, improved sound quality and maybe a few built-in effects.

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance,

- Dave

p.s. - I already blew most of my budget on the computer so cost is a major issue.

I downloaded ntracks at www.n-track.simplenet.com for $35 and I really liked it. You can record as many tracks as your computer can handle and its pretty easy to figure out. There's also a discussion forum for ntrack users, and you can even ask the guy who created it questions.
I would certainly give this a try. You can download a free version, just to try it out. Theres also free versions of other computer recording software out there from different companies, but their full versions usually cost a few hundred dollars.
I haven't gotten a good soundcard yet, but the $5.00 one I have gives me 10 tracks of mono to fool around with until I get a new card.
Good luck with it all.
bobbo

Back