Newbie Home Recording for Metal Sound

Malpractis

As the title says, home recording for metal. I would like to state that I am not running anything pro. Just looking for some tips on getting a better metal crunch sound running a RP500 and Studio One from Presonus. In addition I am playing with a Jackson Slat 3-6. The sounds come out good but it feels sorta weak, I am not sure if the RP500 isin't putting it out enough crunch or I should consider making some hardware/software changes. I am here posting for info on what I could do to better my tone. Everything else sounds pretty good except this. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Not sure if this matters here are some specs

Intel i5 7600k
Samsung Evo SSD 500gb
Windows 64bit

Presonus Audiobox USB 96 with Studio One Artist 3

Digitech RP 500 (updated even though its older)

Jackson Slathxmg 3-6

As I am guessing you are running the pedal direct into interface? That is likely your biggest hurdle. Nothing beats a real amp with mic on speakers for great metal tone. There is much of a heavy guitar tone that has to do with the reaction of the cabinet with a good tube head. Even a small 'lunchbox' tube head powering a speaker can make a huge impact on your tone.

That being said, some can fine tune enough to get away with it, but it is not easy to do. It really depends on the tone you are looking for. You already stated that your tone sounds 'weak'. I say that is likely why man.

Welcome to the forum Malpractis! :)

Not that I know much about metal but I agree with Jimmys, an amp is probably the best way to go.

Trouble I guess is noise, can't make any? If you REALLY cannot let rip now and again, even to hear your recording efforts, I doubt you are ever going to "sculpt" a good metal tone or any other genre come to that.

Now, there are low power amps and some pedals voiced specifically for metal tones and far be it from me to spam so I shall refrain from naming names (but glance top right!).

Other options are an amp with a "power soak" and recording feed but it has to be said, all this is going to cost!

Dave.

Thanks for the quick response! And yes I am running the pedal straight through the interface. I don't mind going for an amp at all. I have owned a few in the past and got great tones out of them. I was really wondering if it was possible to get a similar tone straight trough. This is a great forum, thanks!

Thanks for the quick response! And yes I am running the pedal straight through the interface. I don't mind going for an amp at all. I have owned a few in the past and got great tones out of them. I was really wondering if it was possible to get a similar tone straight trough. This is a great forum, thanks!

I am sure you CAN get good results "DI'ed" but must ask what you are listening on? The top chaps here (I do not count myself among them!) will all tell you, your recording can only be as good as you can "hear". Cannot make decisions if speakers compromise the sound. The room has a huge effect as well.

Maybe you just use headphones? Ok but I doubt they can really be a replacement for good speakers?

Now: Do NOT desert us but there are some very good guitar guys at "thefretboard.com" and Sound On Sound | The World's Premier Music Recording Technology Magazine

All vey friendly.

Dave.

It's definitly possible straight trough. I believe you're only missing a plugin or two to make it sound better. Maybe you could try this (Two notes Audio Engineering - Torpedo Wall of Sound) ? it is an emulator of cabs. It could probably make the sound better, bigger. If it's still not good enough maybe the sound that you're looking for is impossible to get from your pedal? In that case you could plug your Jackson directly in your interface and use an amp emulator to get the sound you want?
There are plenty of free ones. This one is popular: LePou Plugins
Personally I use this one PRS SuperModels – Amp Simulation Plugins | Waves that I got on special for 30$ (it's often on special so check it out) and took the crunch template that Devin Townsend did for them.
What kind of metal sound are you looking for by the way?

Before I couldn't have the sound I was looking for trying to record the amp at my rehearsal place and my pedal train. Ever since I discovered that amp emulator I'm really happy that I can record from my bedroom instead of renting a place with amps and it sounds better too.

Last edited:
I moved from software amp sims to a pedal board a few months ago. Believe me, it made all the difference. Specifically, it's a DIGITECH GNX3000, though any of their boards are good. It contains amp/cab simulations within, and for whatever reason, is substantially better sounding than any amp sim I've tried...IMO, of course. But others could hear the difference too.

So, get the right tone, first off. That's the biggest obstacle in your way. Also, you'll want to upgrade from Artist to Pro at some point soon. I think one of the limitations was not being able to print mp3s or full songs, or something to that extent. Get the upgrade.

Last edited:
Just a hint. If you are having trouble exporting as MP3 track down MAGIX Samplitude ProX Silver. Totally free and does conversion to any quality level of MP3 and most of the other compression protocols.

You start with a .wav. I think it has to be 16 bits (good enough for jazz and EATS Metal!)

Dave.

Back