Newbie here, looking to setup and expand an old setup

Klepto440p

Hi, I have an old midi setup that I'm looking to get back into but haven't used for 10 years. I have a Yamaha SY99 midi'd up to a Korg X3R sound module and their two sequencers are linked. I have a Yamaha Sy55 linked up to the korg just so I can play the Korg sounds and program the korg sequencer.

What I am looking to do is wire up my computer so it can trigger and play along side the Korg and the SY99. I did attempt to do this by a free version of Fruity Loops ( I think that's what it was called)

I did manage to sequence the computer with the computer FL software with the SY99 using a usb midi cable, but had no idea how to link the Korg. I would have prefered the SY99 as the master with the computer and korg being the slaves, but the computer ended up being the master and I couldn't connect the Korg with the inclusion of the SY55

Apologies if this all sound rather complicated. But I would really love to include my SY99, Korg and SY55 with computing software but am a little stuck to be honest. Btw All the sounds go into a little mackie mixing deck into my Sony amp and speekers.

If anyone can and would help it would be greatly appreciated.

How about a usb MIDI interface with several channels? I have an old 4 channel one that I got more than ten years back that still works fine.

OK, pretty simple and basic MIDI. You either hook each to USB, or USB MIDI then Daisy Chain (In->MIDI1->Out MIDI1->In->MIDI2, that is how MIDI was designed. Then set each sound module to a channel to receive. From the computer, take each MIDI track and set it to the sound module you want driven.

EX. Yamaha MIDI 1 channel ->DAW 1 Track, send MIDI 1
Korg MIDI 2 Channel, DAW 2 Track Channel 2

I just used 1 and two as an example, but it could be track 16 on your DAW and Channel 1 to the Yamaha. But either way, it is a straight MIDI set up. USB just happens to be the MIDI data delivery. Everything else is still just MIDI.

Just on case you didn't know. If you want to record the sounds from the module, you will need an analog interface. Effects and special sound parameters will be problematic if they can't be addressed in standard MIDI data. There will be some limitations of this setup. If you find yourself bumping your head against the wall, you should record that part as analog to the DAW. Not all functions of the Yamaha will be MIDI accessible (look at the MIDI mapping in the Yamaha manual).

I hope this helps some.

OK, pretty simple and basic MIDI. You either hook each to USB, or USB MIDI then Daisy Chain (In->MIDI1->Out MIDI1->In->MIDI2, that is how MIDI was designed. Then set each sound module to a channel to receive. From the computer, take each MIDI track and set it to the sound module you want driven.

EX. Yamaha MIDI 1 channel ->DAW 1 Track, send MIDI 1
Korg MIDI 2 Channel, DAW 2 Track Channel 2

I just used 1 and two as an example, but it could be track 16 on your DAW and Channel 1 to the Yamaha. But either way, it is a straight MIDI set up. USB just happens to be the MIDI data delivery. Everything else is still just MIDI.

Just on case you didn't know. If you want to record the sounds from the module, you will need an analog interface. Effects and special sound parameters will be problematic if they can't be addressed in standard MIDI data. There will be some limitations of this setup. If you find yourself bumping your head against the wall, you should record that part as analog to the DAW. Not all functions of the Yamaha will be MIDI accessible (look at the MIDI mapping in the Yamaha manual).

I hope this helps some.

Erm no not really. I have to apologise and shamefully admit I really need to sit down and relearn about midi as I’m struggling with this daisy chain concept and my knowledge is so very limited at the moment.. My set up is simple the wire goes from the “out socket” of the Korg and into the “In socket” of the SY99. Pressing play on the sequencer on the Korg firers up the Sy99 sequencer as well. But that is the limit of my understanding I’m afraid. I haven’t (I think) got a DAW as all the sounds go through the £350 Mackie mixer and out to the Sony amp where it is all recorded on (believe it or not) Minidisc (I told you it’s been a while lol). I need the Sy55 to be plugged into the “In Socket” of the Korg to beable program the Korg Sequencer and play it’s sounds. (The daisy chain solution wont let me do this will it?)
So apologies again on this. I keep plugging away until finally the penny drops, but it’s clear that I have a bit of learning to do.
I really am grateful and appreciate your help on this. I’m thinking though that the “usb MIDI interface with several channels” maybe the easy fix that I’m looking for. But baby steps d’oh! :facepalm:

Erm no not really. I have to apologise and shamefully admit I really need to sit down and relearn about midi as I’m struggling with this daisy chain concept and my knowledge is so very limited at the moment.. My set up is simple the wire goes from the “out socket” of the Korg and into the “In socket” of the SY99. Pressing play on the sequencer on the Korg firers up the Sy99 sequencer as well. But that is the limit of my understanding I’m afraid. I haven’t (I think) got a DAW as all the sounds go through the £350 Mackie mixer and out to the Sony amp where it is all recorded on (believe it or not) Minidisc (I told you it’s been a while lol). I need the Sy55 to be plugged into the “In Socket” of the Korg to beable program the Korg Sequencer and play it’s sounds. (The daisy chain solution wont let me do this will it?)
So apologies again on this. I keep plugging away until finally the penny drops, but it’s clear that I have a bit of learning to do.
I really am grateful and appreciate your help on this. I’m thinking though that the “usb MIDI interface with several channels” maybe the easy fix that I’m looking for. But baby steps d’oh! :facepalm:

OK, you are half way there, so now you need to take the USB to the Korg MIDI IN and you have the MIDI daisy chained (you already have the last half). Now, to communicate from the DAW to each device, you have to tell the DAW which device and sound you want to play. That will be the channel information. Say Korg on Channel 1 and Sy99 on channel two. Doesn't matter where it is on the chain, the channel number is how it will communicate.

But you are closer than you think. Connect it to MIDI IN, set the channels on each device and on each track of the DAW to match the device and you should hear something out of each.

OK, you are half way there, so now you need to take the USB to the Korg MIDI IN and you have the MIDI daisy chained (you already have the last half). Now, to communicate from the DAW to each device, you have to tell the DAW which device and sound you want to play. That will be the channel information. Say Korg on Channel 1 and Sy99 on channel two. Doesn't matter where it is on the chain, the channel number is how it will communicate.

But you are closer than you think. Connect it to MIDI IN, set the channels on each device and on each track of the DAW to match the device and you should hear something out of each.

I think I may have got it but correct me if I’m wrong (this maybe embarrassing). By using the DAW (i.e. software on PC and using the PC as the master) I can use the SY99 and Korg as Slaves controlled by the DAW and USB cable from PC?
They can be programmed from the DAW yes?(The channels)

Does that mean it then frees up the SY55 as a separate/additional instrument (Which would be fab has it’s only being used to play the sounds from the Korg)

Some DAW’s come with little Keyboards don’t they as this is how I programmed the sequencers (what I’m use to) before, note by note…..

I think I may have got it but correct me if I’m wrong (this maybe embarrassing). By using the DAW (i.e. software on PC and using the PC as the master) I can use the SY99 and Korg as Slaves controlled by the DAW and USB cable from PC?
They can be programmed from the DAW yes?(The channels)

Does that mean it then frees up the SY55 as a separate/additional instrument (Which would be fab has it’s only being used to play the sounds from the Korg)

Some DAW’s come with little Keyboards don’t they as this is how I programmed the sequencers (what I’m use to) before, note by note…..

I use a PC100 I purchased back in 89/90. It is just a controller and I use plug ins. This could free up SY?? just depends how many voices it will play at the same time. That is your only limit to both the Yamaha and the Korg. You would use your keyboard as your MIDI recording device for the DAW. But I think you have the basics.

If you do decide to use a VSTi in your DAW to augment you sound modules, I suggest an interface so you can play the sounds from the DAW. This would include any analog instruments and any direct playing from the Keyboard. If you reach your limit with what the sound modules can play, a little two channel USB interface would allow you to record other parts and then use them as a part of your mix. Just in case you want to expand even more.

I use a PC100 I purchased back in 89/90. It is just a controller and I use plug ins. This could free up SY?? just depends how many voices it will play at the same time. That is your only limit to both the Yamaha and the Korg. You would use your keyboard as your MIDI recording device for the DAW. But I think you have the basics.

If you do decide to use a VSTi in your DAW to augment you sound modules, I suggest an interface so you can play the sounds from the DAW. This would include any analog instruments and any direct playing from the Keyboard. If you reach your limit with what the sound modules can play, a little two channel USB interface would allow you to record other parts and then use them as a part of your mix. Just in case you want to expand even more.

This is brilliant stuff, many thanks for your help on this, I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon so I may get some DAW with it. Just going through a list of a few recommended. Both the Korg and the Sy99 have 16 voices each which is more than enough for me, perhaps throw in a separate drum machine and what the DAW can do which would probably be enough for me. I take it I'll only be able to use the effects only on the DAW and the effects on the keyboards and sound module will become obsolete. You did mention an analogue something. But to be honest if the DAW can produce effects aswell as the others then it wouldn't matter. Just gotta get that half decent DAW. A few hundred pounds probably needed here then eek.

This is brilliant stuff, many thanks for your help on this, I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon so I may get some DAW with it. Just going through a list of a few recommended. Both the Korg and the Sy99 have 16 voices each which is more than enough for me, perhaps throw in a separate drum machine and what the DAW can do which would probably be enough for me. I take it I'll only be able to use the effects only on the DAW and the effects on the keyboards and sound module will become obsolete. You did mention an analogue something. But to be honest if the DAW can produce effects aswell as the others then it wouldn't matter. Just gotta get that half decent DAW. A few hundred pounds probably needed here then eek.

Very important is the interface. Getting the sound In and Out of the DAW, while a internal card can do it, you will get much better performance and quality out of a dedicated Interface. Many have the MIDI connection built in and would not require the USB converter. If you get an interface (less than $150 for 2 channel USB interface) you could buy something like EZDrummer and take care of your drum sounds and have much more flexibility. Don't stress over that part just now, just keep in mind if you feel you are not getting the sound you were hoping for, that might be your next step.

Hope I have helped.

Very important is the interface. Getting the sound In and Out of the DAW, while a internal card can do it, you will get much better performance and quality out of a dedicated Interface. Many have the MIDI connection built in and would not require the USB converter. If you get an interface (less than $150 for 2 channel USB interface) you could buy something like EZDrummer and take care of your drum sounds and have much more flexibility. Don't stress over that part just now, just keep in mind if you feel you are not getting the sound you were hoping for, that might be your next step.

Hope I have helped.

You have helped tremendously, it's great. At the moment I just have the out socket on my sound card going into my Mackie Mixing Deck (A lead that has one male plug one end and two males for the mixing deck the other). Wait until I get my DAW and new PC and I'm sure I will be back with a few "Helps!" but in the mean time, you've been of great help and I really appreciate it. I just thought when you say a dedicated interface as apposed to a soundcard of sorts, I wont need to plug the sounds from the other keyboards into the Mackie will I if it's all being channelled through the DAW?

You have helped tremendously, it's great. At the moment I just have the out socket on my sound card going into my Mackie Mixing Deck (A lead that has one male plug one end and two males for the mixing deck the other). Wait until I get my DAW and new PC and I'm sure I will be back with a few "Helps!" but in the mean time, you've been of great help and I really appreciate it. I just thought when you say a dedicated interface as apposed to a soundcard of sorts, I wont need to plug the sounds from the other keyboards into the Mackie will I if it's all being channelled through the DAW?

That depends what you want to do. If you want to take recordings and play live with them, then your DAW, the interface would go to the Mackie and your Keyboard and sound modules would mix with that for a total output of DAW and keyboard to the main speakers. The Mackie still being a mixer. Just depends what you want to do with it.

That depends what you want to do. If you want to take recordings and play live with them, then your DAW, the interface would go to the Mackie and your Keyboard and sound modules would mix with that for a total output of DAW and keyboard to the main speakers. The Mackie still being a mixer. Just depends what you want to do with it.

Ok then, watch this space, this will come together immediately when I get the DAW or I may spend a good few weeks, pulling my hair out, I'm going with the latter here lol. But seriously many thanks for your help and I'll let you know how I get on, maybe early in the new year I'll get the new PC and DAW

Back