Newbie: Audio Technica AT2020 Cardoid Condenser Microphone + Focusrite Scarlett Solo

FourEyesGirl

Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I was wondering if anyone can help... Thanks in advance!

I currently have a problem with my Audio Technica AT2020 XLR, plugged into a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, which is then plugged into my laptop. The main use is for voice overs.

I am currently recording with Audacity (the other software are too complicated for my taste...) and no matter what settings I tried, there seems to a background/humming noise when I hear the playback of my audio through windows media player speakers/headphones. However when I listened to the audio through the interface, it is fine. As well, I pretty much have to talk loudly into the microphone in order to hear a sound. If I turn the gain up on the interface, I would have that background noise but much louder.

I previously used a Blue Yeti USB in the same recording location + method and it never had this problem. If anything, I thought the AT2020 would be better at NOT picking up background noises :(

Do you guys have any recommendations to fix this problem without using noise reduction on Audacity? Or is my XLR microphone broken?

I unfortunately do not have an audio file that I can attach here as I am out right now, but I will edit this post when I get home with the file!

There should be a phantom power button on the interface, you want to use this with your Mic.

Hi Pinky (and the Brain)!

The phantom power button was pressed the whole way when I was recording :)

Sorry I didn't pick the smarter cartoon character to help you with. :p Looks like you have something solid to try.

A similar post on a different forum corrected this problem with the 2020 in Audicity by turning down the program's mic input level and increasing the gain on the interface/preamp. try that.

here, if you're interested:

Audacity Forum ? View topic - White Noise / Static (Another one)

Interesting to hear Audacity described as easy to use. Hardly a model of user friendly interface design.

Just a thought. The A 2020 is a "back plate electret" i.e. it does not use phantom power for polarization just for the internal amplifier. It IS possible you have a duff one, can you try a dynamic?

Got to go crimble grocery shopping now but, Oil be beck!

Dave.

Back