New to this whole thing

mhill3313

Hey Im new to all this so i apologise if i say something incorrect.

I can't get my microphone to work at the moment there is just some white noise coming into it.

I have microphone with a male xlr connector on it which goes into my mix board (soundcraft epm 8) and from that i have an xlr to 3.5mm plugged into the xlr output into a usb audio adapter plugged into my pc

i have no software installed no particular drivers installed, is there something im doing wrong?

im using a usb adapter because my pc doesnt have a mic in port.

Check first that you have good mic signal coming out of the mixer. If you do, then you're problem is after that...might be the USB adapter, might just be your computer setup.
Since you have no software or particular drivers installed...how are you trying to hear the mic in the computer? How are you checking it there?
I mean...you need to have some kind of audio application in order to hear the mic in the computer...even if it's some audio app that is part of the operating system...but you most likely would want something more.
Also...that USB adapter needs to be readable by something in the computer....IOW...something in the computer needs to read the audio signal...and that's usually some sort of audio application.

Can you say what it is you are trying to do...what are expecting at the computer side of things?

What USB adapter? Normally people use a USB audio interface designed for direct connection from a mic. The mixer wouldn't be needed though could be used in some cases.

Yeah im getting a great signal from mic to the board.

My pc has drivers installed on it, i have used basic headset mics etc before hand, this is first time trying an actual mic through the board.

the way im seeing if tyhere is any sound coming in is by watching the the device in recording devices menu on my pc, i choose to listen to the device to hear whats coming out which is just the white noise.

If i plug the mic direct into the usb adapter witht he xlr to 3.5mm i can very very faintly hear myself talking but after boosting it to max which i thought it may just need more power. i thought the amp inside the mix board would provide this power which i believe it does but now i dont get any ouput

my use is to record myself talking+podcast

It's possible you could get that setup working with the right cable, but it's going to be less than ideal. Your best bet is to get the "right" gear for the job. The simplest solution is a decent USB mic, like a Blue Yeti Pro. In the long run you might be better off with a USB audio interface of the type made for recording. There's a variety of them from companies like Presonus, Behringer, Focusrite etc. Your mic and headphone connect to it without the mixer.

That is a very capable mixer friend. How and why did you get it? Bit OTT for podcasting you see. You have various options...

1) Sell the mixer and buy a "proper" audio interface. The likes of Focusrite, Steinberg, Tascam and several others will suit.

2)Sell the mixer and buy an interface dedicated to and configured for Podding (Mackie? Tascam?)

3) Since mixer obviously works fine with the mic just get a very basic AI such as one from Behringer.

4) A very cheap solution but one I KNOW works. A Behringer UCA 202 interface. $25 US 'ish and will take the RCA (phono) output from the mixer to the PC via USB. The wee boxes need to be setup aright but are capable of very good results.

I am not a fan of USB mics. Maybe the more expensive models are ok but since you HAVE 80% of the thing NOW why pay for more?

Dave.

That is a very capable mixer friend. How and why did you get it? Bit OTT for podcasting you see. You have various options...

1) Sell the mixer and buy a "proper" audio interface. The likes of Focusrite, Steinberg, Tascam and several others will suit.

2)Sell the mixer and buy an interface dedicated to and configured for Podding (Mackie? Tascam?)

3) Since mixer obviously works fine with the mic just get a very basic AI such as one from Behringer.

4) A very cheap solution but one I KNOW works. A Behringer UCA 202 interface. $25 US 'ish and will take the RCA (phono) output from the mixer to the PC via USB. The wee boxes need to be setup aright but are capable of very good results.

I am not a fan of USB mics. Maybe the more expensive models are ok but since you HAVE 80% of the thing NOW why pay for more?

Dave.

It was given to me, i thought it was going to make life easier and nicer.

I don't really want to sell it, can i not use it? or do i need an extra piece of equipment like the AI you seggested for it to run properly?

or could i run a 1/4" hi-Z connector from my AUX to usb?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
You can use it happily - but you are missing the vital part - the gizmo to convert the line output from the mixer into something the computer understands. Even if you could get the usb adaptor working, it is not designed for line level balanced input from a mixer and will probably distort like hell. A simple inteface would suffice as suggested above - going top cost between 50 and 100 or so, maybe a bit cheaper.

The confusion is that the xor to 3.5mm cable is not needed anywhere is it? You have a mixer with XLR outputs, and the USB adaptor has a female XLR for a mic (typically) - you would need and XLR to XLR to connect the mixer - what are you doing that needs a 3.5mm plug - the only usually available one is the mic input on a computer?

Attached is the idea using a Xenyx mixer. You would not run the monitors from the 202, there are better ways to do that but the <mixer to 202>USB port> is how it would be done.

The 202 is a 16 bit only device whereas almost any usual interface you buy will be the theoretically better 24 bits. However, for podcasting the improved noise performance of 24 bits would I am sure be totally wasted. CD is afterall just 16 bit!

The 202 can also be used for digital duping of old cassettes and vinyl and has a performance re noise and distortion way above both.

Dave.

Attachments

• MIXER TO 202.png
    MIXER TO 202.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 6
Back