New setup not working

NackJich

Hi everyone I'm new here.. I need some advice please ..I have a DGX-660 hooked up via usb to a laptop. I have Propellerhead Reason 11 installed. When I hit a note on a keyboard it seems to register in the software. On playback I hear nothing. In preferences /audio/audio card driver I have tried them all with no luck? Can I switch off the piano sound as I play? Thanks...

If you have the DGX connected via USB, then you are probably recording MIDI data, not audio data. MIDI is simply a way of storing what note was hit, along with velocity information. You can then use a MIDI instrument to play that note back. It can go back to your DGX, or to an internal virtual instrument.
If you look at the track data and it shows lines like on the left, you have midi data. If it shows something like on the right, you have audio data.

Attachments

• MidiVsAudio.jpg
    MidiVsAudio.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Rich
Its the first of your examples, but it's not working as it should. If you look at my screencap I have arrowed to a small window. This lights up as I play the keyboard, but there is no pitch data in the recording. It's just a straight line?
Thanks
Iandgx-660.jpg

The picture shows an AUDIO track and not an INSTRUMENT one. Not familiar with the DAW but it’s not likely going to record MIDI in an audio track.

Thanks Keith I have it fixed now. The keyboard was not properly defined. Somehow I had it half working! For the benefit of anyone else reading this you need to go to Edit preferences.. Auto detect [No result] Add manually ..select [other] and then select Midi Input: Portable Grand Piano. Add track in reason and it both records and plays back. I'm happy now!!

FWIIW. Anytime anyone has an issue with MIDI such as no sound as here, I suggest a download of Modartt's Pianoteq. The MIDI 'interface' is very easy to use, in fact IIRC it did not need setting up and just played from the laptop kbd. It is then just a case of finding the input for the USB controller.

Very low CPU hit too boot.

Dave.

Back