New MIDI Keys + New Model D Synth = NO SOUND, NO JOY!

Being a dumb noob, I assumed I could buy a MIDI keyboard and synth and plug them in and make music. ARGHHHH!

I have a Alesis Q49 controller, and a new Behringer Model D. It seemed trivial to connect and go, but so far no sound.

1. I powered both up. Lights come on etc.
2. I connected the keys to the synth with a 5 pin MIDI cord. Keyboard OUT to MIDI IN on the synth.
3. I connected my head phones to the jack on the synth.
4. I tested the "440Hz tone" on the synth and it plays through the headphones.
5. Nothing else makes a sound!

To be clear, I've never used a MIDI device or a synth before! The user manuals for both items are so brief and threadbare it's a bit shameful. I found no clues in either of the barely 2 page documents.

Any hints?

I'm not going to read manuals or dig into this much, but each device needs to be on the same MIDI channel to talk and have the other listen. Look at the documentation you have and see what is mentioned about channels and setting them. Also may something in the controller that selects the types of MIDI data that is sent such as Note on/Note off, velocity, aftertouch, etc.

You have the MIDI cable in the MIDI out socket of the Alesis going into the MIDI in of the Behringer?

One thing comes to mind. Is this a modern real MIDI cable or an ancient hifi one you found? The only reason was that these were available in two forms, one where the pins were wired 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc, but also a mirror version, where the ins and outs were reversed. This won't work. They're rare now, but one or two often hide away in drawers.

Other than this, the only real solution is substitution - some other device you can try to prove one, the other or both are working. There would be nothing to put in a manual really would there? The master keyboard squirts out MIDI, the synth accepts it. Common issues are sending MIDI on a channel the synth isn't listening on.

Well, first of all - - thanks to you folks for being willing to help! Always appreciated.

20 minutes ago, I finally found the problem: The MIDI cable was not seated firmly enough into the rather deep socket of the KB. Last night, I had checked all this stuff several times, but I guess I didn't really push hard enough on the cable.

It works! And, I can now go about the learning curve of understanding the hundred dials and switches on the Behringer! Sorry for the false 911 call folks, but my sincere thanks to you both for jumping in!

Back