New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Another home recording newb here. Due to the current crisis, I've decided to dip a toe into home recording, since singing in church isn't possible right now. I sing a bit (bass, poorly) and play trumpet passably. I'm getting into this to make some recordings for on-line worship services and just to play around. I used to do some songwriting, and will be looking into current software to do some of that as well.

Hi all, I'm Chris :)

Born in 1972. Have been playing drums since 1990. As a teenager, I started out building my own audio gear, and I also studied electronics. Later I also studied music, approx. 4 years in total. Have been playing in many different bands. I have done tons of demo recordings. A few records was even released too.
In the 80's I started out recording on just a cassette deck, then later a Yamaha MT8X portastudio. After that a 300MHz Pentium PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II that I got from a friend.
Today I have a home studio, mostly for fun.

Last edited:
Home Recording during COVID-19

Hi all,

I am a 29 year old singer/songwriter from Australia and during COVID-19, have been trying to record and mix a few tracks to keep me from boredom.

I haven't done any home recording in years and am hitting some roadblocks, which I would appreciate some advice on.

I just wanted to share with the group the equipment that I have and see if anyone can give me some tips on whether it is satisfactory, or whether I need to upgrade anything to produce a better/cleaner home record. I would also love some advice on the best and easiest software for the task, because I am a beginner at that too.

I am both a Mac and PC user and have a Microsoft surface pro laptop and MacBook Pro laptop available for the purposes of recording.
Firstly, I am using a M-Audio audio interface (Fast Track Ultra) which no longer seems to have a driver for Mac. Which kinda means that all my live recording has to run through the PC, which is kind of annoying because I am more proficient as a Mac user.

I also have a Mackie 1402-VLZ3 line mixer that I use, and am currently running the audio interface through.

To create my own beats I have a AKAI MPK mini.

As far as microphones, I have a Shure Beta 87A condenser which I have been using for years for live performance for years. I have also got a Behringer C-1 microphone, which I guess is geared more for studio recording (but is perhaps at the lower end of price).

Regarding software, I am using FL Studios on the windows PC and have Logic X Pro on my Mac.

In the test recording I have been doing lately, the mic is sounding sqashed at the higher frequency and I am getting a bit of feedback. I am not running speakers and am using DT700 Pro headphones.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Carlin

Hi folks, been reading through this forum for a few weeks now, so thought I'd get involved. Some really great posters and information here, I've already lost plenty of hours just aimlessly browsing, so thanks for that ?

Been at the home recording game, on and off, for about 15 years although never to a 'professional' standard. The desire to get to that level has only developed over the last couple of years.

I have a fairly poor spec laptop that let's me do some basic stuff (using Reaper) to keep me practicing, but I would not even attempt a full project as it would cave pretty quickly.

So until such times I can afford a good high end setup I'm pretty much just messing around.

Anyway, I've never been a massive poster on forums etc, so don't expect to see me pop up constantly in discussions. But if it's of interest to me then I'll be reading every word, so please keep sharing all your expertise ?

Thanks

Hi all! I have to setup a simple setup to expand my Roland GO:keys, add a microphone and a mixer (or an usb mixer? or an audio interface?) and connect my home theater for a little bit of karaoke and play along capabilities. I see I was going to make many errors. So here I am to read a bid, study the FAQs and learn what I could reasonably expect and what to buy. I landed here searching infos on the BEHRINGER Xenyx Q502 USB.
I forgot, I have ancient memories of using the Stinberg Cubase some 20 years ago, so I plan to use my current laptop as a DAW for simple live setup, if current hardware may keep latency in check without too much spending.

Thanks!

Tensormaster

Hey to all my username is WurWulf I'm a 64 year old guitar player from Western North Carolina. I was lucky enough to be a part of working bands for 30 plus years. I was in an accident in 2014 that left me in a wheelchair so gigging was over but I still got together with my old band mates to jam, write music and record it. Now this Covid-19 has taken that as well, so we are at a point where we write record send it to everyone and build a tune.
I have been involved with a lot of recording projects over the years but only as a musician did not do anything with the recording aspect I just played while others recorded. I have bought a simple recording set-up Zoom R8, dedicated HP 1 TB laptop, Zoom MS-50G multi-effect pedal, AKG 240 Studio headphones and Presonus monitors. I'm hoping to use this forum to learn much more than I presently know about the recording process I realize there are tons of great free tools on line but it makes more sense to me to involve myself with a community that has an abundance of information and knowledge and hopefully I will find answers to a million and one questions. It would also be great to make some new on-line friends with like interest and understanding of this addiction called music along the way.
Glad to be here
Randy

Video recording

Hello, I’m new on here, I am making a video next week, and it’s a low budget affair, my band is close to a bluegrass lineup, but not quite, can anybody advise me how I can make this video work with a 1 mic technique? With acoustic instruments etc, will this be enough for the video guy? And, what will be required for the sound later on? To sync the music how?

Hello, I’m new on here, I am making a video next week, and it’s a low budget affair, my band is close to a bluegrass lineup, but not quite, can anybody advise me how I can make this video work with a 1 mic technique? With acoustic instruments etc, will this be enough for the video guy? And, what will be required for the sound later on? To sync the music how?

Welcome man!

First off, do you plan on recording later a good recording for the video?

If so, record your one mic recording with a click track. Give the video guy a few clicks at the beginning to sync up the video. Then record later with the same BPM and you will be fine.

Hi there,

I recently downloaded 'Addictive Keys' and I want to use it as a plugin through 'Propellerhead Reason 10' on my macbook. it's not working after following the steps to add the VST on reasons VST Plugin Folders on the preference section. Addictive keys is working as a stand alone in the applications section to my macbook though. When I try and extract the files from the downloaded folder it creates a .dmg file and the other files that are there are rar files. I don't think reason is opening them? I did extract the files and like i said it just created a .dmg file.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Scott and I have a home studio in Denver CO. I found this forum because I'm hoping to get some help with my Alesis Studio 32 mixer. I haven't used it in about a year, but when I went to play some tapes from my ADAT recorder, I found that several channels (5, 6, 7, 10, and 11) had stopped working. I'm wondering if a buildup of dust inside could be the issue, or if there's something else I should look at. I called Alesis but they said they no longer support this device.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Hello Everyone,

My name is Scott and I have a home studio in Denver CO. I found this forum because I'm hoping to get some help with my Alesis Studio 32 mixer. I haven't used it in about a year, but when I went to play some tapes from my ADAT recorder, I found that several channels (5, 6, 7, 10, and 11) had stopped working. I'm wondering if a buildup of dust inside could be the issue, or if there's something else I should look at. I called Alesis but they said they no longer support this device.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

It could be dust. It could also be corrosion, depending on the environment in which it was stored. If you can't find an electronics repair shop, it may be time for a replacement.

Hey people noob here, nice forum seems to be alot of good info, im not a drive ill try and spend a bit of time here as ive already found some decent info on here, glad i found the place!! heres a peice of music i finished recently, if posting videos in here is out of order i understand

cheers
SSS

Hi all

My username is nothing to be scared of.
You can find music I made under the monikers Jack Matthew Tyson and Jason Laake

I am here to get inspired and to find likeminded people.
Happy musicing everyone!

Back