New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi, I've been recording with all kind of microphones. Like the zoom H2 and binaural Soundman OKMII. Now I felt like I wanted to give myself something extra. So I bought a Rode NT1-A and I thought I could hook it up to the TASCAM DP-008EX, since it's supposed to have phantom power. I never worked with phantom power before. But the 008EX drops out when I try to set it to phanton power. Bang. Out. It has to be restarted. So it seems I didn't do meself a favor. It should be able to deliver 48V but there seem to be other things to be aware of when working with phantom power. Anyone that can help me?
I don't seem to be able to start a thread or I don't know how to do that so any pointers on that are welcome too.

Hello forum people.

I'm not precisely new to home recording, as I did quite a bit of it with my band some twenty-five years ago. But this world of digital recording is pretty new to me and very exciting. Hope to learn some things sound the way and, who knows, maybe pick up enough to help someone else someday.

Hi, I've been recording with all kind of microphones. Like the zoom H2 and binaural Soundman OKMII. Now I felt like I wanted to give myself something extra. So I bought a Rode NT1-A and I thought I could hook it up to the TASCAM DP-008EX, since it's supposed to have phantom power. I never worked with phantom power before. But the 008EX drops out when I try to set it to phanton power. Bang. Out. It has to be restarted. So it seems I didn't do meself a favor. It should be able to deliver 48V but there seem to be other things to be aware of when working with phantom power. Anyone that can help me?
I don't seem to be able to start a thread or I don't know how to do that so any pointers on that are welcome too.

I have had a scan of the manual and two things could be the problem.
1) Make sure the mic is connected and all controls are at minimum BEFORE you turn on phantom power.
2) Ppower takes a lot of juice from a low voltage supply and it is possible that the batteries or PSU cannot supply it. Try a bang up new set of alkalines.

Does the device shut down if you enable 48V WITHOUT the mic connected? If not try the mic on something else.

Dave.

Hey guys! Ive been producing for a few years now and just trying to improve my mixing. Hope to learn a bit from you guys!

Hi,

I've been dabbling with recording for many years (I went to Fanshawe in the early 80s) and the last couple of years I've been learning Reaper. I'm the chief recorder/mixer for my band - a 5-piece alt-country, roots-rock bar band.

Looking forward to learning from others here and helping out if I can.

Cheers,

Imer

Just retired after working for 44 years in the legal profession. I am now getting reacquainted with my passion for music (guitar). I just bought a Zoom R24, read the manual, the reviews, and the tutorials on Youtube. I am severely technologically challenged; I have not been able to do the most basic thing with the R24: record on one track to see if my equipment is working. Basically: I plug my electric guitar in Input 1, turn my R 24 on, select Input 1, arm it by pressing the button so that it is in red color, press record and play buttons, strum a few notes on my guitar, then stop the recording. When I press "Play" no sound emanates from the R24. I have tried it several times, following the directions from the tutorials, to no avail. What am I not doing right? [I am apologizing in advance if this is such a basic, stupid question].

OK, first off, do you have the switch on channel 1 set to Hi Z? That's the setting for using a guitar plugged directly into the recorder. You should also see the lights flashing for the meter on channel 1. If not, turn up the gain knob until you are getting flashing on the meter.

After pressing Stop, then press the status button until it turns green. Hit the <<REW button to go to the beginning, and then hit play. You should hear your recording through your headphones.

Give that a try. You should get something.

The R24 is a good little unit. I've used mine for remote recording of jam sessions, and occasional home recordings of songs. Throw a 16GB card in there and you can record for 6 hours with all 8 tracks going. Perfect for live shows.

Thanks so much for your response. I did everything that you suggested but I still can't hear the recording. Follow-up question: What do you mean by "You should hear your recording through your headphones?" The demos on Youtube show the recording played without the use of headphones. Secondly, my two kinds of plugs for the headphones (i-phone plugs which are either rounded or circular at the end do not fit into the R24). Could it be that my R24 is defective?

OK, first off, do you have the switch on channel 1 set to Hi Z? That's the setting for using a guitar plugged directly into the recorder. You should also see the lights flashing for the meter on channel 1. If not, turn up the gain knob until you are getting flashing on the meter.

After pressing Stop, then press the status button until it turns green. Hit the <<REW button to go to the beginning, and then hit play. You should hear your recording through your headphones.

Give that a try. You should get something.

The R24 is a good little unit. I've used mine for remote recording of jam sessions, and occasional home recordings of songs. Throw a 16GB card in there and you can record for 6 hours with all 8 tracks going. Perfect for live shows.

Thanks so much for your response. I did everything that you suggested but I still can't hear the recording. Follow-up question: What do you mean by "You should hear your recording through your headphones?" The demos on Youtube show the recording played without the use of headphones. Secondly, my two kinds of plugs for the headphones (i-phone plugs which are either rounded or circular at the end do not fit into the R24). Could it be that my R24 is defective?

Go ahead and take this conversation to a new thread. This thread is for New Introductions. If you need help starting a new thread, please let a mod know.
Thnx

Hi I'm new here! I have a range of hardware analogue and digital synths and drum machines. I use Ableton as my main DAW. Make a variety of soundscapes and beats... Acoustic guitar, Ambient Electronic, Trip Hop, Techno, Lofi beats and tunes, and experimental music. Always learning and trying out new kit. I especially like the Elektron range and Teenage Engineering's gear for coming up with new ideas. See you around!

Hi I am Holger and I make music since a long time but didn't really publish it to the public because of some things I've encountered in my past.
And I've decided to change this for the better.

I am often waking up with a finished melody in my head.

I am using a Korg Kronos, Yamaha CS6X, Korg M3, Novation Launchpad, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 amongst some other devices.

~ Holger

P.S.: Have fun making music. :-)

I am hoping especially to learn more about Mixing and Mastering in here. And some things about workflows with FL Studio. :-)

Hello and thank you for this forum. Obviously I just joined and I'm looking forward to learning about recording and expanding my knowledge of it.

I'm a guitar player and have been for a long time. I used to record myself and band quite a few years ago on Tascam 246 and I'm looking to get back to recording myself (just me) again.

My primary motivation to join is as mentioned to learn (re-learn) recording techniques on today's digital equipment and all that goes with it.

I an looking forward to hearing from and being a part of this community.

Thanks,

/aldtech

Back